webuser_39060989

fireplace restoration

Tracy Johnson
3 years ago

I purchase these fire surrounds from an auction house. I am looking to return them to a condition that I can replace the tiled one into my living room, and the smaller one into the guest bedroom. I live in a Victorian terraced property. I am looking for some help on how and what I would need to do. The tiles are in very good condition- no cracks or chips, it mainly the cast iron. Should I use wire wool to remove the rust and them some kind of black paint ? Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments (3)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

How lovely! In the olden days (even before my time) cast iron grates and fireplaces were blackened with a special paste polish and then buffed. I’m not sure about the rust though. Something like this, but there are other brands.

• Tracy Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sonia,

Thank you for your help. I will certainly have a look for something like this. On my High Street we have a local hardware store so may have a look for something similar in there as they are still open !!!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Yes that’s just the sort of shop that would stock it! Good luck.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.