t0d007

Iroko worktop refinish - getting rid of bleached stains/discolouration

T I
4 years ago

I was planning to apply Osmo oil to my Iroko worktop (about 8 months old now).

My wife got some bleach on it and also it has discoloured from leaving something cold on it. Will applying Osmo oil alone get rid of the stains or does it need sanding? Never done it before! Thank you in advance hope you are staying safe!

Comments (6)

• T I
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your help that's really helpful. Didn't realise I have to oil it so often! They told me once a year with osmo.

With children on the way I wonder if I should leave sanding till a few years in.

Maybe I can use an oil to stain it the same colour as the iroko for now?

• PRO
    qudaus living ltd
    4 years ago

unfortunately most people are not made aware of the maintenance of wooden worktops. The more you oil it the more resistance to staining it gets as the oil acts as a barrier. **This is not the same as sealing it

If you attempt to stain it, the area's which have had bleach will still be prominent.

when you do decide to sand it please ensure you sand the whole worktop in even strokes otherwise you will create a dip in the wood if you just try to sand the stained area's out.

If you cant commit to 3-4 times a year i would try to do at least twice

ive attached a link from a worktop manufacturer i use - i hope it helps

https://spekva.com/media/eh0bkyyz/spekva-plejevejledning-2019-uk.pdf

• T I
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So i thought i would feedback. I dont know what the company who installed it used to finish it but it wasnt osmo. I lightly sanded with p150 sandpaper the areas i needed to treat then put osmo all over. Worked a charm! Looks better than before.

• PRO
    qudaus living ltd
    3 years ago

Oh thats great news - wooden worktops are amazing if treated with care. Thanks for the feedback

• Sonia
    3 years ago

That looks great.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.