flexgarage

How to make your garage fully wheelchair accessible

Garageflex
4 years ago

If you are in a wheelchair, the garage might not be the most accessible place to spend time. Whether its the floor that makes it difficult to get around on, or nothing is at the right height. Here are some simple things you can do to make it fully accessible and a nice place to be.

Decluttering

Clearing the garage can make space so that you can drive straight into the garage. Easier access to the home (via an integral door), space to get in and out of the car, room to get walking aids or wheelchairs out (obviously depending on the garage size).

And safety is a key issue: if there is a home for everything and everything has a home nothing will be left lying about to impede the way.

Workbenches

Could a workbench be put on wall units so it is lower to the ground? A workbench can be on lower legs by cutting down timbers and it can be any height to suit.

Storage accessories

These can be placed at the correct height to access them, particularly useful for those in a wheelchair as items can be placed where they can reach them. And with our FlexiPanel accessories you can move any item at any time without the need for tools. So items can always be easily accessible.

Flooring

Ramp edges provide a smooth entry into garage. Would we recommend smooth or raised disk, or would it not matter? It wouldn’t matter which tiles as both are good for grip and maneuverability. And choose the colour that suits.

Garage Doors

Having a garage door with an automatic opener will make it easier to get in and out of your garage

And Roller shutter doors are so well insulated these days that you don’t get a draught and you don’t get a lot of overhead rails in the garage.

Slopes

Try to ensure that you don’t have any steps into the house and have handrails where they would be helpful. Adding in slopes where necessary is a good option if you do have to go up or down.

Heaters

If you are planning to use the garage for exercise then have a simple heater with a thermostat and time control.

Good lighting

Keep the garage well lit with appropriate lighting so that can see where you are going and what you are doing.

Wide doors

If there are side doors into the house or garden make them wide enough to get through.

We hope this has been of use.

Of course a lot of this is common sense but sometimes it is just good to have a reminder.

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.