jackie_mi68

Need moreblight

Jackie Mi
4 years ago

Hi, we just moved into our new property this week. I do not know what to do with this kitchen to make it abit more light and airy. Any ideas?

Comments (20)

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you hurry, you can still correct/edit the title (I think). 😊

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    4 years ago

Hi Jackie, if you redesign the kitchen without corner wall cabinets you will have more space either side of the window which will allow more light to come into the room, this change of design will also give you more light under the wall cabinets preventing dark spots in the corners. I would also recommend investing in high quality light fittings which should definitely include under wall cabinet lighting.

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello Townhose design. Thank you for your advice. I was actually thinking more of what to do with the existing kitchen. I was thinking more in terms of budget friendly things like maybe painting the tiles?

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ED, I tried. I spent 10 minutes looking for edit button but I failed!

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

Don’t paint the tiles. There was another post regarding doing this a few days ago. It was agreed that painting tiles was a bad decision and a faff but it’s the tiles IMO that make it look dark.

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    4 years ago

In that case you could just add the under wall cabinet lighting

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Daisy, youtube tutorials make it look so easy! Thanks townhouse design.

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello Ellie, thank you. I am going to change the blind once I have decided what I am going to do with the kitchen floor tiles and wall tiles. I have decided to change the wall tiles. I think I might paint or replace the cornices, plinths and pelmets to match the cream colour of the cabinets. Maybe that will also help?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

The units are nice as is the flooring, so that’s a start! The tiles are dark, so if budget allows, then get a tiler to remove them and replace with simple white tiles will be an improvement. There seems to be wallpaper above the units, which creates clutter, so either remove it or paint over it, maybe? Change/remove the blind as Ellie suggests. These simple changed I feel will make a huge difference. 😊

• Ellie
    4 years ago

Yes, I'd remove the wallpaper above the units. I'd also try remove the shelf bit above the window. I know it's a cornice, not think it's strange there and it should only be above actual units. I also agree raising the blind or changing it, and the wallpaper may be all that is needed.

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Sonia and Ellie. I am on a budget so all the advice is very much appreciated. I am so fixated on the tiles, that I totally forgot about the wall paper. Ellie, I can see what you are saying about the cornice. I think it cuts off the window.

• E D
    4 years ago

Your cornicing, plinths, infills and cooker hood appear to be in a different colour from anything else.

Is this maybe done to match the worktop?

It seems to contribute to the cluttered feel too, I think.

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

E D, I think so too. I am not sure where to paint them same colour as cabinets or just buy new? Maybe a stainless steel cooker hood or just paint existing one?

• arc3d
    4 years ago

Hi Jackie,

Some great advice there. I would say though, if your on a budget then painting the tiles is an option. If they are cleaned and primed properly, it will give you quick results with very low cost, and the result may even last a year or two, so it could buy you some time to increase the budget.

Next option up would be to remove the tiles completely and just paint the wall. There would be a lot of work sanding down the wall but it could easily be DIY'ed. It can be hard to tell how much work this may be, but a while back I worked on a house where a similar approach was needed. Once the worktop was pulled away from the wall, the entire wall of tiles just fell off!

You could may be try taking a few off in an area they wouldn't be noticeable. A plain wall all the way to the ceiling would let light bounce around.

• Laura
    4 years ago

Decluttering and removing the blind would make a massive difference

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you arc3d. I will be removing the tiles. I hope it will not be too much of a problem. If they just fell off then that will be a bonus!

Thanks Laura, I agree. Decluttering always makes spaces look better!

Thank you all so much for your advice. I will post pictures when complete. Hopefully everything goes to plan!

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    4 years ago

Hi Jackie, I would definitely remove the pelmet above the window. There is then enough cornice to be used for the return on the wall cabinets.

Also think long term what you want to do, which might help you short term with changing or painting things.

Also I'd definitely change the wallpaper for a light painted colour.

Hope that helps alittle and congratulations on the move :))

• Jackie Mi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello Dual designs. Thank you so much. I will be removing the pelmet. I am getting quite excited about the redecoration.

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    4 years ago

Excellent, hopefully it will suit what you want …. Good luck :))

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.