forzaitalia

What’s looking good in your garden?

Sonia

Lovely to see all the spring flowers, shrubs and trees flowering their little hearts out. What do you particularly like in your garden right now? My mini cherry tree has finished flowering, but this yellow corner is looking pretty as well as all the forget me nots. 🌸

• Carolina
    19 days ago

Hollandse appeltaart! Met slagroom, E D ;-)

• Sonia
    19 days ago

My dwarf apple tree has been almost completely stripped of apples. Only one left! 🤬 I think it’s squirrels as there is no debris anywhere! Are those cookers E D? Let us know when we can come over 😂😂😂

• E D
    19 days ago

This is what Carolina’s suggesting...

Apple pie, Dutch style. 😋

As my guests, your choice... ☺️

• Ribena Drinker
    19 days ago

I have a relatively new patio cherry tree, which had some blossom this year, resulting in three baby cherries. The first shrivelled up and died, the other prematurely dropped - unripe. The last was growing beautifully, going from blushing to a lovely red, slowly ripening to a shiny black.

Every day, I passed the tree on the patio I checked it. Concluding it would be ready by late July.

Last week, I saw the face of my OH turn ashen, whilst looking at the tree. He came to me and hesitantly asked "Have you eaten your cherry........?"

"It's gone".

Oh.

I can only conclude that it had been knocked off the tree in heavy rain and was eaten by slugs or snails, because I found the stem and stone on the floor beneath the little tree.

There's always next year I guess............

• Sonia
    19 days ago

That looks amazing E D!
    Ribena I love how you looked longingly at that one little cherry! 😂😂😂 Thats what I’m like with my one apple. There were about 30 of them earlier in the year! 😂

• Carolina
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Oh dear, the anticipation, the drama :-D

• Carolina
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

The butterfly/bee border I planted last year looks good. The flying brigade love it. I cut back the geraniums that were taking over, left some gaps, but overall it is doing pretty good.

• Carolina
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

My new vegetable plot in another spot in the garden, how it looked in February and how it looks now...

Newly sowed stuff are under a fleece cover to protect them from birds, slugs and snails. Some things are bolting, but I just let them flower for the bees. Perhaps they'll set seed and I might save some of it for next year. We will see. I'm learning as we go :-)

• Carolina
    18 days ago

Oh, and this hydrangea is looking good

• Patrina
    18 days ago

I have the same Hydrengea @Carolina gorgeous aren't they? Loving the vegfie plot as well. It's a grey old day here in Hampshire but really enjoyed this view of my garden this morning 😁

• Carolina
    18 days ago

So pretty :-)

• Sonia
    18 days ago

Lovely garden Carolina. Do you tend it all yourself, it looks huge!
    Patrina, love the white hydrangea and are they gladioli?

• Sonia
    18 days ago

Crocosmia are lovely this year. Love those bright colours.

• Carolina
    18 days ago

I do, Sonia. It is quite large (almost 2 acres I think, something like that, but some of it is for the horses). Keeps me busy. Can’t keep it all as neat and tidy as I would like, so letting bits go wild a bit. It’s the second year of successfully growing Crocosmia, for me. I’ve tried before, but they never survived. I love them too. So vibrant.

• Sonia
    18 days ago

Yes I’m sure leaving some wild is a great idea Carolina. I love horses, however as I learnt to ride later in life I never developed the total confidence that children have with horses, so there’s always a little bit of me that is scared of them! 😂🐴

• Carolina
    17 days ago

Well, they are big and can be a bit of a handful, so even though I trust mine completely, you always have to be careful around them. We used to have three, sadly down to one now. Recently had to put my husband's horse to sleep and our youngest one a couple of years ago. Really upsetting. But there we are... sh*t happens. Anyway... digressing 🙂 Lets get back to all of our lovely gardens!

• Sonia
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Aww sad Carolina 💔 Animals just don‘t live long enough 😓

• E D
    17 days ago

Neither do plants...

• Carolina
    17 days ago

No, that one looks terribly sad

• Ellie
    17 days ago

Oops, surely not a peace lily?

• E D
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Ya, certainly compared to how it looked some months ago...

EDIT: yep, peace lily.

Rest In Peace Lily....?

• Sonia
    17 days ago

RIP 🙏 I think it is beyond help E D.......

• tamp75
    17 days ago

Repot it or give it some food & put it somewhere with lots of natural light. I think there’s hope yet!

• Patrina
    17 days ago

@Sonia yes Gladioli, Gayfeathers, and Asiatic Lillies. @ED yes try repotting I did mine last year as it was looking a bit sad and its perked up and gave me multiple blooms this year instead of the usual one.

• rachelmidlands
    15 days ago

Ooof! I spent ages catching up on this thread. Great photos from everyone 🙂.
    Sharing a few latest pics from my garden.
    First is a lily which has a stonking fragrance (but in a good way 😊). And second is a Veronica which the bees have being going crazy over.

• rachelmidlands
    15 days ago

Quick before and after of the new bed. All grown from seed earlier this year. Hollyhocks, Cosmos, Zinnias, and there’s some echinacea in there somewhere as well. Landscaping still in progress.

• rachelmidlands
    15 days ago

And a little lockdown project. A solar light chandelier!

• Sonia
    15 days ago

Wow all looks amazing Rachel! Your dog looks rather fed up that he/she can’t have a pee on your newly sown lawn area hehe. Did you create that beautiful light or buy it that way? Never seen anything like it before 😊

• Jules Mc
    15 days ago

Love all your gardens and beautiful planting. Very envious.
    I could post a photo of my three wheelie bins if you'd like? 😭🤪

• rachelmidlands
    15 days ago

He he Sonia, dog did look a bit miffed didn’t he. But he’s piddling on my new grass now with gay abandon 😂. Solar light is one of those spiral thingys and I added the chandelier bits (plastic) from an old light shade. Very fiddly and time consuming tho threading them all individually.
    @Jules Mc . My wheelie bins are in dumping ground corner, I bet yours look better arranged than mine 😉.

• Jules Mc
    15 days ago

Ooh yes Rachel they're beautifully aligned in a row and the flying ants have been having a field day recently 🤦‍♀️. Thank heavens they're away from the back door. My small garden is the bane of my life but always something else needing doing to be able to invest in a complete makeover. I put up a post a few years ago for some advice and have done a few bits since but might need to bite the bullet and go for it again. I think lockdown has made me realise more than ever how important having a lovely outside space is, whether that be a massive garden or tiny balcony!

• Sonia
    15 days ago

Hey Jules, shall we start a Show us Your Bins post haha 😂

• Jules Mc
    15 days ago

🤣🤣🤣 Love it Sonia. How about, 'What's looking good in your bin? 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Sonia
    14 days ago

I feel a bit queasy now 🤢 😂😂

• Ribena Drinker
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

These are our agapanthus this year. We've been properly feeding them this year and boy has it paid off.

• Carolina
    9 days ago

They are stunning!

• Sue S
    8 days ago

We have spent the last four months getting our garden into some sort of civilised state, not helped by very poor sandy soil, and are at home all summer. Today the builders started, very loudly, with the HUGE three-floor extension on the house whose garden backs onto ours. Not smiling. At all.

• Sonia
    8 days ago

Biggest problem with renovating is the noise! My brother is removing our deck and cutting it up ready for laying a new patio. Those electric machines are so noisy as well as the radio blaring away (good music though)! Opposite is someone having a new roof. Hope they don’t take too long Sue. 😢

• Ribena Drinker
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

I'm not very tolerant of noise, so much so I no longer have the radio or TV on until the evening now, so when they were building the "dodging the planning rules" house near the bottom of our garden, I nearly went insane with the noise. Not least because he was building it himself so worked way earlier/later than an employed builder. So you have my total sympathy.

I've just discovered over the last week or so, that the folks in said house, are not practising any form of social distancing and appear to have a regular troop of people visiting their new baby. And their son is running riot with the other children, who all incessantly shriek like banshees and appear to only be able to communicate by shouting and screaming. I was treated to the shrieking at 7.00 am the other morning and I've had to close the French doors this afternoon because of it.

I think I'm becoming very intolerant in my old age........

• Sue S
    8 days ago

Thanks Sonia and Ribena Drinker for your sympathetic responses.

Not my day today! Further bad experience this evening, picked and cooked some of our courgettes, to find out they were extremely bitter, and a bit of detective work on line showed they were seeds from a "dodgy" batch. Both Fothergills and Thompson &Morgan have reported seeds which have grown into plants with high levels of Cucurbitacin, which can cause abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting. Currently awaiting developments!
    And I was so proud of my crop.....😒

• Sonia
    8 days ago

Omg yes Sue I read about the poisonous bitter courgettes! Hope you’re okay 😢

• Carolina
    7 days ago

Oh dear... hope you're okay, Sue.

• E D
    3 days ago

Pretty in pink

And yay...

pomodori!

• Sonia
    3 days ago

E D that hydrangea is gorgeous. I love the smell of tomato plants as they remind me of my papa, he grew loads of them 🍅

• Sonia
    3 days ago

Hang on, are they phlox? 😂

• E D
    3 days ago

I only know they’re not hydrangea... 😌😊

• E D
    yesterday

And here’s our vineyard... 😆

• Sonia
    yesterday

Very lush E D! 🍇

• Ribena Drinker
    yesterday

All round to E D's for wine when it's ready........take your own thimble! LOL

• Sonia
    yesterday

Ribena! 😂😂😂