webuser_79813852

Removing knee wall and replacing with bannister

Mikey
4 years ago

Currently renovating our first home and looking to do a bit diy to keep costs down. What we want to do is remove the ‘knee wall’ or some call it ’pony wall’ and replace it with a bannister. Is this sort of thing easy enough to do? Does anyone have any tips? I’ve attached a pic of it. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Bumping your post. I’ve no idea myself but hopefully other Houzzers can advise.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That would be the dream to find something like that but I doubt it will be possible in our new home it’s more ex council house rather than Victorian 😂

• E D
    4 years ago

😊

Is it possible to check with neighbours if they perhaps have the original handrail? If indeed there has ever been one.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

It depends what it’s made of..... it it’s wood then you might be able to tackle it yourself. It it’s brick it’s removal will need replastering which is beyond most DIYers

• Mikey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When you knock the wall it sounds hollow so don’t think it’s brick

• embzop
    4 years ago

If you have a look at house selling websites, they have a section on 'house prices' and you can enter the name of your road and it will bring up photos of the other houses in your road. This gives you the opportunity to see all the interior photos and you will get a look at what neighbouring houses have been able to do with their staircases.

• arc3d
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Mikey,

Had the exact same thing in my parents house. It was made of concrete blocks and was original to the house. We took it out and replaced with banister. We also opened up the area under the stairs to make the hall appear bigger, but my mum missed the extra storage so not sure if you want to do that?

• arc3d
    4 years ago

I don't have pictures and I can't visit, but I might ask my mum to attempt to take a picture. She has been getting better at using a smart phone with all the video conferencing we have had to do!

• Elaine Venn
    3 years ago

I would like to get rid of the two half walls on my landing, just a bit worried about how I would go about it. I want to put in a base, spindles, handrail and newels. My house is ex council too.

• E D
    3 years ago

Perhaps in idea to start your own thread and add some photos?

Btw I don’t think OP was talking about ex-council house.

• HU-191530781
    2 years ago

Looks like a 50’s house, this is how they built the staircases, goodness knows why as not very attractive, if you want to make it a wow hallway and modern why not put slat wall cladding on comes in oak, walnut or grey, looks amazing, put a good wood floor down, gives a feeling of warmth but modern, also Farrow & Ball smoke green is a great colour good luck!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.