giblets46__

Late Flowering Garden?

giblets46 .
4 years ago

So bit of a weird question, but we have a south facing garden, however, the flowers always seem to come up later that everyone else, even the small flower beds out the front of the house that don't receive that much direct sunlight come up a good couple of weeks earlier, they also seem to grow more vigorously.

The house was a brownfield site (used for parking buses!), and converted to housing back in '91. We moved in winter of 16/17 and regularly dig in compost and spread 1kg of the slow release fertiliser over it every year. I checked with a pH meter and all seemed pretty neutral (although more clay in nature), although there was an acidic spot in the back left. Some parts, seem to do better than others, even a couple of the parts that receive more sunlight don't do as well as they could.

Image of the garden below, due south is directly ahead in the image, unfortunately the neighbours have some mature trees along the boundary, including a very wide holy bush (to the right), along with a silver birch and taller conifer (although that is 10m further back to the left of the bunch of trees).

Any suggestions on improving this? More fertiliser/ compost etc?

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.