ribena_drinker

Tomato plants and growing tomatoes

Ribena Drinker
4 years ago

Some years ago, we grew tomatoes in the back garden on the sunny patio. We had varying degrees of success with them and concluded they were just too much faff the the amount of fruit we got off them and the quality.

However, with the uncertainty with the supermarkets and lockdowns, I thought we'd have another go. Since we last tried, I've 'retired' and don't work anymore and my OH works a lot from home, so I think we may be able to devote more time to tending said plants. We (I actually mean the OH) have also got significantly better at gardening etc.

As we don't currently have a greenhouse, and they'll just be out once the frost risk has passed, should we go for the standard gro-bag, or should we try them in terracotta pots? I've tried both in the past and neither seemed better than the other. But I just wondered about other people's experience?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Calling @Carolina to the post ! She’s the garden queen !!! You should see her mini melons !!! Lol !!

Ribena Drinker thanked OnePlan
  • ebony45
    4 years ago

We grow tomatoes on our sunny patio every year in grow bags and it is always very successful. We start them off indoors (spare bedroom windowsill - south-facing) and then harden them off in a very small grow house. I don’t think it saves us any money, but the flavour is great and it gives the retired OH something to do. We usually have so many that as well as giving them to family and neighbours I can bottle them for use later. Our only problem this year might be getting the grow bags, but our local garden centre has said they will be doing local deliveries, so fingers crossed.

Ribena Drinker thanked ebony45
  • obobble
    4 years ago

I have used both. I find that I sometimes want to move the plants and grow bags don’t lend themselves to that. Just make sure if you use terracotta that you keep them sufficiently watered. I have used cheap buckets from Band Q before as pot holders just drilling drainage holes about 1.5 inches up from the bottom which keeps a reservoir of water at the bottom. B and Q have said they are staying open as I think is Wilko.

Ribena Drinker thanked obobble
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

I’ve bought baby tomato plants from a garden centre and grown them in pots and they do really well. Of course you can grow from seeds indoors and put them out when chance of frosts have passed. You can also plant them in the ground as long as you enrich the soil with lots of compost and choose a sunny spot. I once grew peppers from seed in this way and they were fabulous. Don’t forget raised beds are a great way to grow veg and lots of companies sell them online. At the moment many online companies are still trading.

Ribena Drinker thanked Sonia
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.