tonicuk

Hallway colours!

tonicuk

So, the floor tilers have been in and asked for all painting, sanding, etc to be finished prior to tiling.

We intend on having a tiled victorian style 50mm black and white floor with a matching border to it hence the cement board on the floor.

Question being... What colour below dado rail?!

Railings? Keep it B&W? White wash?
Help 😩

Thanks!

• Carolina
    last modified: 2 months ago

Ooo, difficult decision. You have a blank canvas really, with the black & white floor. Anything goes. I would personally go for something simple and bright, like this:

Brixton Townhouse II · More Info

Although the drama of this is beautiful too. Depends on the rest of your interior too, I think.

Bow House · More Info

halse design studio

I can see you have little ones, therefore, I suggest avoiding white at least until they are a bit older.

How about green? or grey? I used photoshop to help you see how it will possibly look like.

colourhappy

I love Caroline's top picture where the bottom grey is darker but not oppressively dark. Are they using water based oil based paints? F&B are water based only.

• Susanna Thomas

• Susanna Thomas

I also would not go too dark on the bottom as I think that looks better with a wooden floor. Bit a subtle difference in shade would be nice.

• tonicuk

What a response! Thanks to all those that have replied.

@Carolina both the examples you have there are really nice to look at and didn't even consider doing an off-whiteish colour beneath the rail. They even have the same radiator that I do.

@halse design studio I don't know how you did that but that sort of help is priceless! I have a wall in my kitchen that is studio green and I'm not too sure about having that along my hallway walls too. Although, the darker grey is a lovely colour there!! It's almost a blueish greyish.

@colourhappy I'd be going with F&B. What is the problem if its water based?

@Susanna Thomas another really nice example of a hallway! They have really lovely flooring in that picture and it matches the staircase runners very well too. O the choices...

I am leaning toward something a bit more dramatic. Nothing too dark but something that'll add some character as much of my house has neutral tones to it.
    Hmm!

colourhappy

No problem, just a different set of colours.

• tonicuk

You know, after all these years of DIYing I've never noticed! Learn something new everyday lol

halse design studio

I used photoshop :), good luck.

• tonicuk

@Oasys Property Solutions what a beautiful hallway! I decorated my hallway similarly when I first moved in but have decided to take a leap this time and do something out of my comfort zone!

• tonicuk

Here's a sneak peak. I'll try post some daylight pics tomorrow! It's been a busy day!!

• tonicuk

So, didn't get a chance to get some pics of an orange-free-floor but I took some nonetheless. Really like it. Its Railings from Farrow and Ball which is described as "more blue than black"

Defo happy with my choice!!

Have ploughed ahead and started dry fitting the uncoupling matting.

halse design studio

Looks fantastic! Enjoy your new hallway.

• Carolina

It looks fantastic!

• Sonia

Very smart. Well done!

Townhouse Design

The paneling painted in Railings looks stunning! Well done

• Ellie

Looks soooo good, lovely choice. really smart

• tonicuk

Thank you all! Really chuffed with the outcome and can't wait to get some tiles down 😁

Laid some just to get a cheeky glimpse of it

• E D

Yes, successful update. Lovely.

• Ellie

Love it so far, not sure of your time though, sorry. I think it would be better with the squares being bigger.

• Patrina

I love the stairs and that gorgeous panelling they are really beautiful. I must admit though something about the tile maybe the pattern/format, does not sit very well with the stipes in the runner. Perhaps it the fact you have only laid out a small amount of the tiles? I would be intrested in seeing it against the runner.

• tonicuk

Thanks for the responses!

@ E D thank you 🙂

@ Ellie Well, that's a fair opinion. However, me and the Mrs really fell in love with the 50mm tiles so we decided to go for it! I'll post some progress pics and maybe change your mind! 😁

@ Patrina what a lovely thing to say. Thank you. It's taken months to get to painting stage. I have literally done all the work myself 👍 Perhaps I should post a renovation thread?
    Very well spotted and you know that didn't even cross my mind! Just for you I've laid out some tiles and border to get more of and idea.
    As you can see the matting was also fit today so tomorrow is tile day!

• E D

Yes please, do a renovation thread. Garnished with lots of pictures. 👍

If I’m not mistaken there is, or used to be a style ‘rule’ saying stripes and squares don’t match (or something to that effect).

I’m not an expert but I feel having this combination is risky, but if you like it and are set on it I give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe.

😊

• tonicuk

@E D - when I find a few mins to sit down inbetween a toddler and 1year old I will do so!

Well... Perhaps we can rewrite this rule because I think it actually goes OK! Also the stair runner was installed many years prior to re-doing my hallway. I had a timber floor before hand.

Here is the finished article and I shall try to post some day time pics of it tomorrow

What do we think?

• E D

I think it looks wonderful. 👌

Classic yet contemporary.

Well done for not following that ‘rule’.

• Carolina

It looks amazing! I love it.

• Patrina

OMG this shot looks amazing. Now I've seen the tiles against the stripes👍Would love to see how you light the space. It lends itself to a gorgeous statement light/Chandelier.

• tonicuk

Thanks!

@ E D - Brilliant! Though unintentional ill take the compliment lol. I think it goes just fine for the time being.
    I still have a utility cupboard, downstairs wc and through lounge to redecorate before I start thinking of heading upstairs

@ Carolina thank you!! Really went out of comfort zone but I think it has turned out well.

@ Patrina awesome! Well, in total there are 3 pendants in which the hallway is lit. I'm not a big fan of very large chandeliers so I've no idea! However, I do have some oddly shaped bulbs and brass coloured pendants floating around that I'll fit to see how well it goes.
    Any suggestions?

Spent the day with the kids picnicing so no day time pics but I think some moody night shots go really nice. Here they are

Tomorrow I'll fit the skirting boards and pop on the light fixtures I have.

• E D

Ooh picnicking? 🤔

• tonicuk

Indeed, spent the day with the kids in the garden and no tools in my hands lol!

Anyways, here's some pics with the boards on. Still need to touch up where damage was caused while cutting them up but overall it all looks lovely!

I even started to batten out for the utility cupboard's worktop to be the final place for my washing machine to go.... Finally!!

Okok I think I need a renovation thread. Where are they meant to be posted? This forum isn't best laid out for the forum user 🤷‍♂️