webuser_33979209

Tall Builders Opening Ideas

Paul M
4 years ago

I've opened and fixed up a tall slim builders opening fireplace.

Any suggestions welcome. Keep it or drop it down?

Leave as brick or parially plaster. Log burner or feature such as book case, TV or Stereo....?

Comments (47)

• Marylee H
    4 years ago

log burner! log burner! 🔥🔥🥳

• Sarah
    4 years ago

yes log burner :-) and leave it tall and open, it's different and a lovely feature!

• Related Discussions

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

Q

Comments (51)
    Just a quick note to thank you all for sharing your thought, ideas, experience and time. I especially want to thank Bluenan and decoenthusiaste for being with me through the all process for the last 6 months or so..., just wanted to post few photos of the results (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-ideas-for-final-touches-to-this-living-dinning-room-dsvw-vd~569586) as I feel it is not only me who created this space but it is your creations as much as mine. It may not be perfect or according to the the "Rules", but it is Me and my family. Each and every piece was chosen by me in different parts of the world and each one of them has a unique story behind. I am very pleased with my space. I love it! I am very blessed. .... and so I am off to my new project now... Back to school.... that's really going to be hard ;) Thank you all, once again.
    ...See More

What to do with a small back of the house room?

Q

Comments (5)
    This is the room... Believe me this is an old house and the refurb is on the way so as they say" look past what's there now" it's connected to a corridor and in front of it is the front if the house with porch and large windows. I would love to make this a front to back look but it is below a road at the back and just looks into a yard! The views are magnificent at the front as we over look the sea ! I'm so stool on ideas. To the right is the bathroom to the left we are building a utility room... My initial thoughts were that I would like it to be an extension of the hall.. Help!
    ...See More

Diane

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Diane. I must admit I may be tempted to look at french doors then.You could have wide doors with glazed panels either side to let the light in. I think they'll open up wider than a patio door ( but jonathan may correct me:) !)
    ...See More

Advice on Kitchen/Utility renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi - its such a big and important project, i really think you need to sit down with a good kitchen designer and fully tease out your requirements and then look at every possible layout option. by sitting down with someone, they will draw each possible layout to scale in front of you and that way you will be able to see the pros and cons of each design. it makes decision making much easier best of luck with the project Barry
    ...See More
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Marylee and Sarah,

A log burner is certainly a strong contender! Although, sorry to more away from design, from an air quality angle, it would be a gas version. Unfortunately I work in pollution control, live in a city and ultimately know too much in this area. 🙈

I was unable to attach a second photo when posting so will try again with the plaster options, ie follow line of the arch or square above - both leaving a row of bricks exposed..... Any more thoughts very welcome!

• Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photo didn't seem to attach... 2nd try

• Marylee H
    4 years ago

It’s such a fab shape!

• rinked
    4 years ago

None of the above :)

Paul M thanked rinked
  • E D
    4 years ago

It could be a lovely feature, but what to do with it really depends on the context of the rest of the room and indeed the house.

• E D
    4 years ago

Maybe I’m misinformed, but log burners are not very environmentally friendly, are they?

• embzop
    4 years ago

How about making it into a display area with glass shelves and downlights.

Wells Hill · More Info

• Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies! As Iv'e not had a blank page before all inspiration is welcome.

ED - you are correct log burners aren't so great form an air pollution perspective (internal and external air quality) which is why I'd install a mock gas one.

Regarding the context - it's a traditional 1930s house with bay window. This is the front room which I envisage being a warmer cosy room with the back being opened out for a kitchen diner.

I'm part way through having the room insulated to modernise so I doubt the fire would be needed for heating but I imagine it would create the cosy mood. Likewise I use Paint to mock the plastered walls with a darker blue for that cosy feel.

The style I like is tough because I'm new to this! But I like rustic (wood, stone etc) and also classical like white coving. but I'm not sure the two go together?!

This coving appeals as it maybe art-deco (?) but combined with the exposed brick fireplace - maybe a step too far?

embzop - maybe not glass as not so rustic but some lighting inside with or without a fire could be a nice feature thanks!

• Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I love a bit of rustic brick and the shape is so unusual. The bricks need a good clean with a scrubbing brush to really bring out the colour of the bricks. No woodburner - pollute the air inside and out, no matter what wood you burn, but I don’t need to tell you that!

Paul M thanked Sonia
  • rinked
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If mainly decorative, plaster it as a whole, or keep the brick bare. Nothing inbetween. Such as:

And not:

Paul M thanked rinked
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm amazed with the responses! Thanks again everyone for taking time to reply. I can see I'll be posting many more requests for diffent rooms!

Sonia and Rinq - the entire chimney remaining as brick is becoming a strong contender! I have some brick acid already so will think about giving the whole area a good scrub to see how it comes up!

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think this brick feature stands well on its own and as someone who thinks wood burners are naff would prefer to see the opening uncluttered by an unnecessary, polluting, expensive squat metal box.
    Consider lighting the inside and using the space to showcase something that compliments the brick.

Paul M thanked Jonathan
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Jonathan, the idea of a fully expose brick chimney is gathhering momentum despite it not being one of my original thoughts.The power of peoples generous input!

I'm also glad to see that not eveyone wants a wood burner and has an appreciation that they aren't great for air quality - I'm despirately trying not to bang on about that point though :0)

Ive just had some round pin sockets put in the room so I can turn on lamps from a switch - I should have had one for the fireplace if i'd considered it at the time. Any other ideas how it could be illuminated?

• rinked
    4 years ago

You haven't plastered yet, so: Could a hole be drilled in from the side to have a socket in there?

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Cooling-Heating/Electric-fireplaces/Brixen-Electric-Fireplace-900-1800W-InstaFire-Thermostat-Black.html

Paul M thanked rinked
  • Jonathan
    4 years ago

You could have a ceiling spotlight angled towards the brick, or a walkover light set into the hearth but given you have already done some wiring I would consider a 2w LED in the chimney space, angled downwards, with a timer. If it is on for 6 hours every day it will cost about 80p a year to run so no need to be able to switch it off.
    You could run power to it from the lighting circuit or an upstairs socket.

Paul M thanked Jonathan
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Elec fire (Rinq) or some lighting (Jonathan) would both be good. Possibly even both!!

The 2w LED sounds like a simpe solution - I think could run it from the round pin socket circuit which is off the lighting circuit. Thanks yet again!!

• J
    4 years ago

Add my vote to whole chimney breast exposed brick. Other option a reproduction 1930s fireplace. I've had this site in my bookmarks for if/when we do anything with our fireplaces http://www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/

Paul M thanked J
  • rinked
    4 years ago

Oh my.. J.. Those fireplaces! I didn't know they still made these! (quite logic though, just had no clue) Love it!

Paul M thanked rinked
  • E D
    4 years ago

Ooh @Sonia! Did you see the 1930s tiled fireplaces?... 😄

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Haha don’t be cheeky E D, you know how I feel about 30s fireplaces! 😱 Where’s the sledgehammer 😂

Paul M thanked Sonia
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lets see if I stir up some more emotions by asking for opinions on the other 4 fireplaces in the house - all original 1930s ones!! My soppy side wants to keep them but some I just struggle with and others are going to to structural changes to rooms....

Bed 1 - Not so nice creamy green colour that I can't envisage with a general room colour I would choose

• Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bed 3 - not so nice brown and longterm this chimney will go and in bad condition and only serving this one room.....

• Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And finally the other living room. I am torn as again the colour isn't that good. But this is the chimney coming out along with the blue bedroom one. I had thought I could transer it into the room this chat was originally about but that felt a difficult proposition....

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Those fireplaces are very marmite - you either love them or hate them. I hate marmite..........🔨🔨🔨

Paul M thanked Sonia
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sonia - I'm swinging between the two myself. Sentimentality vs actually what I like in part! :0)

• rinked
    4 years ago

Though I love the fireplaces J posted, yours are not the best looking.. We've removed ours too, 1950s, as it was diagonal and in bad shape. Yours look offcentre and I bet the rooms can be gorgeous without them.

Paul M thanked rinked
  • Jonathan
    4 years ago

Personally I think those fireplaces could benefit from some light demolition

Paul M thanked Jonathan
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's three voting for removal of all of them. Maybe not so marmite a topic after all! Replacing with alternative fire surrounds could be costly and and opening up those that are staying would be different as they are bedrooms? Suggestions welcome 😀

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Personally I think that bedroom fireplaces often limit furniture placement and narrow the room.
    Your solution has to be chosen for each room- for instance in one room you might making it a bathroom in which case a replacement fireplace could add romance (although beware chimney drafts). In another bedroom space might be so tight you decide to remove the chimney too. In another room you might put sliding wardroom doors across the whole wall hiding the chimney breast behind. Or you might decide to put furniture in the alcoves.
    I suspect you are hesitating as you feel that you are removing a decorative element to the room but don’t forget you can add back coving and window treatments and the furniture and wall coverings to make it feel like home.

Paul M thanked Jonathan
  • Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I find them depressing but I'm not sure why. Maybe I've lived in a bedsit years ago with fireplaces like these. I just don't think they have any intrinsic beauty. It's a bit like watching the antiques roadshow (living the dream), sometimes there are things that are old and valuable but have no merit. Sorry.

Paul M thanked Juliet Docherty
  • J
    4 years ago

As the recommender of the repro fireplaces I feel obliged to come back and say ummm... I'm sure your fireplaces have lovely personalities. I wouldn't be able to get rid of an original feature so I'd end up decorating round them, I wonder if they'd have any value on ebay.

Paul M thanked J
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely at a decision road block due to original feature sentimentality! Once they are gone they they are gone. Could this be a case of current trends and tastes - the lovely victorian house featureswere all ripped out at some point in the past - could this be the same?

Lots more thinking around these for me I think. If they are removed the chimney still needs to have air flow forndamp (that's another whole story!!) so some sort of opening would be staying. Just a whole or air brick would be pretty naff though....

I had thought about eBay but I'm not sure if they survive the removal normally. If certainly feel more comfortable not throwing them in a skip.

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

The tiled fireplaces are 30s - is your house a 30s house? If your house is Victorian then these fireplaces aren't strictly original to the house. We removed four of these fireplaces in our last house and used them as hardcore under a patio - salvaged the arched metal bits to use as rusty plant supports - so they lived on in a different form!

Paul M thanked pmasmith3
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi pmasmith, my house is a 1930s so yes I believe they are original.

I mentioned Victorian features being removed as an e.g. now they being put back in.

• Paul M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just to update - I've wirebrushed and acid washed the brickwork. Thanks Rinq for the inspiration to keep the whole chimney exposed! Just needs to fry out now but already looks great.

Next some lighting as Jonathan suggested and I'll look great!

• Katie Duke
    3 years ago

Paul, I'm not sure where in the country you are but if you are dead set on removing the 30's tiled fireplaces you should definitely contact 20th Century Fireplaces from J's link above. They may be interested in buying them from you - so you can top up the renovation fund! We bought our lovely all tiled fireplace for the living room of our 1936 semi from them. The showroom was an amazing treasure trove of delights. Please don't take a sledgehammer to your fireplaces they could be just what someone else is looking for.

• Paul M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update on progress of the chimney. The design of which came from comments on here! Not there yet but it's taking shape. The light is an old mechanics inspection lamp left by the previous owner.

• Sam Potter
    3 years ago

Room is a tip. So many nerf guns . But you get the idea.

• Sam Potter
    3 years ago

Oh pic didn't upload. I'll try again.

• Paul M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's the look Sam! My bricks don't quite have the look of yours; maybe I scrubbed them too much :0)

• Sam Potter
    3 years ago

Yeah I just knocked the bulk of the plaster off them and embraced the roughness. I didn't even seal them. They don't get cleaned so don't need sealing ;-)

Paul M thanked Sam Potter
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

Paul it looks great. I can see a posy pile of logs in it. Like this but your fireplace is much nicer!

Paul M thanked Sonia
  • Paul M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sonia. I look forward to the time I can do th e finishing touches. Such as logs!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.