webuser_258134302

Flat roof and lantern or vaulted ceiling with veluxs in a kitchen?

HU-258134302
4 years ago

Hi

We're just starting the plans for turning our single storey extension into a kitchen, and as well as bifold doors we want to do put in either a flat roof and lantern or vaulted ceiling (and gable end) with a couple of veluxs either side. Does anyone have experience of a lantern? I like the look of them but I am concerned about the noise of rain, too much light/heat in the summer, and cold in the winter - and also if they get very dirty? Does anyone have any experience/recommendations? I'd also be keen to know what lighting solutions you've used with a lantern - as it is likely to be over a dining table.

Many thanks

Nicky

Comments (2)

• PRO
    OWLarchitecture.com
    4 years ago

Hi, Too much light at one end of a room eg Bi-fold + Rooflight makes one end of the new space very bright and the other end comparatively dark. The contrast in light and dark within an extended living space can lead to a cave corner or even whole original room being cave like and a bright area in the extension only. In general useful daylight travels twice as far into the room as the top of the window. This is why I nearly always recommend tall glazed gable facing the garden to capture this useful light without. High ceiling heights and tall windows have the same effect. The Georgians know what they were doing.

• Kerry Russell
    3 years ago

Great advice!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.