jaybeestar

MDF Kitchen cabinet painting

jaybeestar
4 years ago

Hi

I'm a newbie to DIY and I apologise in advance for asking questions which have been answered before. But with so many choices in the market recently its quite confusing what primer/paint/varnish to buy when deciding to paint kitchen cabinets so it doesn't make a dent in your pocket. This is what I've so far understood, so please feel to correct me/guide me in the right direction.

I think my kitchen cabinets are laminated/plastic coated MDF. I'm going to be using Harris 4" mohair roller for primer and paint.

1. Removing the handles and doors etc

2. Cleaning with sugar soap

3. Lightly sanding

4. Applying primer (thinking of going for Zinsser Bullseye 123)

5. Applying two coats of paint with sanding in between each coat. (thinking of going for this paint GoodHome Durable Hamilton Satin Multi-surface paint.)

Hope I haven't misunderstood or missed out on what to do for this project. There are few questions I'm not sure about and hope to get some guidance on them.

Q - Not sure if one coat of primer is ok to apply. Or it needs two coats of primer with sanding in between coats?

Q - The Good Home paint description says its self-priming, however using a primer will make it worse or be durable?

Q - I was thinking whether its necessary to seal the paint with clear satin varnish or something that would protect and doesn't easily chip off the paint and is able to handle day-to-day scratches/scruff marks. Also, what kind of varnish product is best to use? A product name would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards,

Jay

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.