derek_thornhill

Whats the most effective way of clening york Stone paving slabs?

Derek Thornhill

We havew had a patio laid using natural york stone, looked great when first laid but we didnt seal them and now they are green and brown with stains, how do i get them back to thier original colour?

Peter Reader Landscapes

Hi Derek

I would not worry too much about not sealing them - the argument still rages as to how much of a benefit or nuisance sealing is.

The first step for cleaning is to simply try jet washing them with a domestic jet wash that you can buy from a DIY store. Be careful not to wash the mortar between the slabs too aggressively because depending on your washer, it can damage it. If you have a lot of algae and stain marks then it is probably worth adding in a proprietary cleaner as well.

It is worth getting one from a supplier of stone, rather than a generic one from the DIY store as you want to make sure it will do the job but not damage the stone. I don't know where you are in the country, but London Stone are a good choice in the South East

https://www.londonstone.co.uk/paving-tile-ancillaries/natural-stone-cleaners/ 

Like carpets, patios do need cleaning a couple of times a year, depending on how clean you like them to look.

• pawsnjaws

I would use a so.ution to clean patios widely available, spray that on first the jet wash, alternatively if the slabs are old and the marks are pitted you may need to sandblast.

i would always wash afterwards with an algae repellent for longer lasting effect

• derekt5

Guys, thank you for your comments and suggestions, after a lot of research I went with a company called Patio Black Spot remover, and whilst expensive to do the area of slabs I have the end result is brilliant, the slabs are back to what they were when first laid.

cheers

Derek