derek_thornhill

Whats the most effective way of clening york Stone paving slabs?

Derek Thornhill
4 years ago

We havew had a patio laid using natural york stone, looked great when first laid but we didnt seal them and now they are green and brown with stains, how do i get them back to thier original colour?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    4 years ago

Hi Derek

I would not worry too much about not sealing them - the argument still rages as to how much of a benefit or nuisance sealing is.

The first step for cleaning is to simply try jet washing them with a domestic jet wash that you can buy from a DIY store. Be careful not to wash the mortar between the slabs too aggressively because depending on your washer, it can damage it. If you have a lot of algae and stain marks then it is probably worth adding in a proprietary cleaner as well.

It is worth getting one from a supplier of stone, rather than a generic one from the DIY store as you want to make sure it will do the job but not damage the stone. I don't know where you are in the country, but London Stone are a good choice in the South East

https://www.londonstone.co.uk/paving-tile-ancillaries/natural-stone-cleaners/ 

Like carpets, patios do need cleaning a couple of times a year, depending on how clean you like them to look.

• pawsnjaws
    3 years ago

I would use a so.ution to clean patios widely available, spray that on first the jet wash, alternatively if the slabs are old and the marks are pitted you may need to sandblast.

i would always wash afterwards with an algae repellent for longer lasting effect

• derekt5
    3 years ago

Guys, thank you for your comments and suggestions, after a lot of research I went with a company called Patio Black Spot remover, and whilst expensive to do the area of slabs I have the end result is brilliant, the slabs are back to what they were when first laid.

cheers

Derek

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.