australasia78

wevet , strong white or slaked lime 105

australasia78

Hi

I need to paint our hallway next week which is both north facing upstairs and prone to a dreary light and south facing. I’ve got wevet in the south and north facing living room which I like with a rich team floor which can make it look quite warm at times. Other times wevet can look clinical.

I’ve got slaked lime deep in the kitchen and on some cupboards in the hallway. Slaked lime mid isn’t quite right - it looks a bit dirty/ dark.
In pictures slaked lime 105 looks so clinically white I don’t understand its appeal.

So shall I go for slaked lime 105 , wevet or string white ( too cold ?). Please help as I’ve had enough of thinking about it and I’m running out of time ... I would like a pale hallway to offer as a contrast with the slaked lime deep. I’m veering towards slaked lime 105 but is it cold ??

• Sonia

Heres a few DuluxCrown shades that may appeal?

• australasia78

So kind Sonia . Like the white cotton as I prefer greyed whites ( but not too grey !!!) I’ve got S L deep in a north facing kitchen so am angling towards 105 but I don’t want creamy as it’s a warm light in the hallway. Argh ! I think I’ll speak to little greene. Has anyone got experience of it looking yellow ?

• australasia78

Hi Sonia I’ve got a sample of slaked lime mid and it looks v similar to your bookcase. Is that lovely book case 105 or mid ?

• E D

Perhaps there is some confusion?

I‘m not sure how Slaked Lime can be seen as being dark. 🤔

colourhappy

Its not the colour that is cold, it's entirely down to the amount of light it gets. North facing rooms get no direct light so lots of colours can look cool but they can also look 'clean' which you may like. Rolling Fog is essentially a dull orange (brown) so that may not work with your other areas. Slaked Lime is a good in-between colour which is not too blue. Alternatively there is Skimming Stone by Farrow and Ball. It is a beautiful taupe which has hints of red/violet which can be very useful for neutralising yellow LED lights. Skimming Stone is a colour worth thinking about, haven't you used it E D?

australasia78 thanked colourhappy
  • australasia78

Skimming stone is too brown in my hallway - I’ve tried it ! The bookcase is not dark of course . It just looks darker than images I’ve seen on slaked lime. It looks like my sample of SL mid. It’s lovely with the Cromarty walls Sonia has.

• australasia78

That’s slaked lime mid on the left and rolling fog pale on the right. The photo next to those is wevet. All taken in a south eastern direction

• australasia78

I don’t like muddy colours but I don’t want cool either. So I guess slaked lime 105 might be a good option as it doesn’t seem to be either. I just hope it’s not stark

colourhappy

If Skimming Stone looks brown then Rolling Fog would be way too brown. I would test in the problem areas if that makes sense. Neutrals are a bit of a nightmare as they can look so different in different lights.

• australasia78

This is also slaked lime mid but painted directly onto the wall. Doesn’t it look so much lighter than the lining paper sample?! Colour me happy is that because of the background colour ? Yes neutrals are a nightmare . It took me a year to settle on s l deep for the north facing kitchen !!

• australasia78

Please could you help Colour me happy - I’ve never tried strong white except for when I painted some onto paper and it came out yellow . Since then I ve discovered never to sample on plain paper !! I don’t even think lining paper is 100 per cent true to life as I found out with slaked lime deep. Do you think strong white would work better in a north and south facing setting ( hall and landing) or slaked lime ? I’m probably going with slaked lime deep doors upstairs or Manor House grey which we have on the bannisters

• australasia78

My floor throws up some browny tones I think so that’s why some colours are coming up quite muddy I think

• australasia78

Judging by the bookcase which doesn’t look stark , ill most probably go with 105 . There must a reason why it’s a classic !

• Sonia

My bookcase is Slaked Lime 105 and it is not dark at all - are you wearing sunglasses lol? 😊. i have another bookcase which is Slaked Lime mid and is considerably darker and muddier, nothing like 105 at all. My skirting boards are white if you want to see 105 compared to white.

australasia78 thanked Sonia
  • australasia78

That is so useful - on Instagram 105 looks so bright it’s deceiving. well its all being painted next week I’m going sl mid and deep in the kitchen and 105 hallway and probably doors as well as the landing is small, colour is a very strange thing . The way a floor reflects up onto a colour and how you test ( cars, lining paper , paper, wall) all make a difference too, thank you again.

• Marylee H

Slaked lime, Wevet & Slaked Lime mid are all from the Yellow Hue Family.
    They live at 90°, 94° and 89° on The Colour Strategist wheel.

Of the 3 colours, Slaked Lime is the lightest, followed by Wevet then Slaked Lime mid. By far, the most neutral is Wevet with a Chroma Value of 1.432. Then 105 has a Chroma Value of 4 and 149 has a Chroma Value of 5. The lower the Chroma = the nearer to neutral.

105 & 149 have positive values in the a + b channels indicating redness & yellowness. Wevet has a -a value + a positive b channel which indicates greenness and redness.

• Marylee H

Color Strategist Color Wheel

• Marylee H

Slaked Lime Deep has the most Chroma at 7. So is the most colourful of all the colours you mentioned as well as being the darkest with a Lightness value of 87. It is also contains the greatest quantity of Yellow with a positive +b channel of 6.63.

• Marylee H

You are right about the floor impacting the colours. The more near neutral they are, the more they are bossed around by the light and context. (Here, a strong deep floor colour from the Yellow/Red Hue Family)

• Marylee H

Sorry, Slaked Lime Deep has a Hue angle of 87° but a Lightness Value of 84.

• Marylee H

Sorry again, -a = greenness +a = redness. -b = bluenesss +b = yellowness.

• Marylee H

Strong White is at 99° on The Color Strategist Wheel. It has a Lightness of 90 so is that bit lighter than Slaked Lime Deep at 84. It also had half the Chroma of Slaked Lime Deep at 3.6 and 7 respectively. So Strong White is more neutral than 150. Strong White also has a -a value indicating greenness whereas 150 has a +a channel indicating redness.

• australasia78

this is amazing ! Interesting that 105 is quite a bit darker than wevet. I don’t want an undercoat look to my walls which wevet sometimes looks like , hence my leaning towards something a tad warmer and darker.

i changed my mind about s deep all over the kitchen as it looks so Brown on one side but not the other so will do a mix of mid and deep . Thank you for the figures I was neurotically going to phone Farrow and ball for their light reflective figures for wevet and strong white. Thank you a million !

• Marylee H

You are very welcome. 🌈 p.s. if you are doing a reasonable amount of renovation, you might consider investing in a Color Muse device. Costs about £55 from Amazon. It links wirelessly to your phone or ipad and measures colours in seconds. It will give you the Hue Angle°, Lighness, Chroma a and b channels of any colour of paint/fabric/tile/wood etc. So you don’t have to guess about colours and how they compare - You KNOW! 🤓
    It’s been a Colour Revolution for me! 🌈

• Marylee H

P.s. 105 isn’t darker than Wevet. 105 has a Lightness of 95 and Wevet a Lightness of 93.7. Wevet is more neutral than 105 as it has a Chroma value of 1.432 compared to 105 which has a Chroma of 4. So 105 appears more colourful and Wevet is more neutral.

• australasia78

Sorry yes I even noted that when I read it. Need to sit down and carefully read 😊 thanks

• Sonia

Whoever knew choosing colours was so complicated? 🧐

• Marylee H

When you have measurable attributes, it makes it easier to compare & contrast details of a lot of colours quickly.

• E D

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Aristotle

• australasia78

Mary Lee could I be cheeky and possibly ask for a comparison between slaked lime mid and strong white ? 105 is going to be too light for my project , and as I want flow with 150 I think I have to go with slaked mid. Thank you if you can , understand if not.

• australasia78

Sorry reading the info above I see you have already broken these down ! Thanks

colourhappy

Given that colours look different on different walls at different times of day, it is so easy to tie yourself in knots. It is sometimes worth buying a 2.5 litre tin of paint (rather than a tester) and just painting it on. I would avoid images on Instagram as they are nearly always 'corrected' in terms of colour, temperature and light in order to get likes. Hope you get this sorted.

• Marylee H

Hi! Strong white has a very similar Value (90.67) to Slaked Lime Mid. (91) (Value or Lightness tells you how light or dark a colour is) but it is that bit closer to a true neutral with a chroma of 3.6 compared to 5, of No.149. (The lower the chroma = the nearer to neutral. ) So Slaked Lime is a that bit more colourful.

Also Strong White contains an element of both green & yellow. Whereas Slaked Lime Mid contains both red & yellow. So perceptually I would suggest No. 149 might feel a touch warmer.

• australasia78

Yes I’m now wearing towards strong white for the hallway as the sl mid is looking very warm against the floor ! Thanks Mary Lee.

• Marylee H

Good Luck! 🌈

• Sonia

Just to put a spanner in the works, how about Wimborne White or All White? Very bright and cheerful.........😊

australasia78 thanked Sonia
  • cavgirl

I’m a huge fan of the Slaked Lime spectrum. I know what you mean about it having a brown or even a purple tone in the Deep, but it does depend what it’s paired with. my floor is off white/very pale grey and as a result the Deep on the lower kitchen cabinets read as a very lovely, gentle soft grey. Mid is on my (few) upper cabinets and on my bead board splash back is paler and a tone warmer, whilst the 105 is a lovely white that isn’t stark. i did have pure brilliant white in there before (the room is north facing) and I hated it - it was dingy, cold, or both. The 105 is exactly what i wanted, a whitish soft soft grey that never reads cold—and doesn’t have strong green or yellow undertones which was my main issue with F&B.

australasia78 thanked cavgirl
  • australasia78

Thanks - I’m buying the paint tomorrow so will have a good look at 105 and strong white in brewers. Our hallway is quite dark ( well it is feb!) so I’m now leaning towards 105 😬 how silly to get so wrapped up in paint !

• australasia78

Cav girl that’s a really useful d

• australasia78

Useful description of the slaked limes especially 105 and for 149 . I love the deep ( as do the kids !) just not anywhere near my brown floor !

• Sarah L

I'll stick with pbw 😉

• LTS

What did you go with in the end? Our hall, stairs & landing is strong white.

• australasia78

I went with ammonite ok the hallway ( because of the difficult v warm floor) and slaked lime deep pretty much everywhere else. It’s similar to shaded white but greyer.

• australasia78

Sl deep is similar to shaded white - not the ammonite.

• australasia78

Hi Mary Lee h
    I know it’s been a long time but would you possibly mind comparing shaded white with slaked lime deep for comparable warmth and neutrality ? I need to choose between the two for a room which contains a lot of brown - floor and furniture but at the same time I do t like grey walls ! Thank you if you can !!

• Marylee H

Hi - I will be glad to do so, but it will be later today. 🌈

• australasia78

Thank you 🙏 I think shaded white might be a tough darker but there doesn’t seem to be much in it ?

• Marylee H

Comparing their measurement,,,

They have almost the same Lightness value, but it appears with the lower Chroma, Slaked Lime Deep, is that little bit more neutral. So which you choose, depends what you are looking for,,,

They both belong to the Yellow Hue Family but seem to differ the most in Hue Angle°.

Slaked Lime Deep is a deal closer to the Yellow-Red Hue Family than Shaded White. This may possibly show moments of peachiness, by comparison to Shaded White, which is that bit cooler.

Shaded White may have moments of greenness in comparison, due to its Hue Family

location.

We know that in certain imbalanced light levels, low Chroma colours from this neighbourhood can shift purple. Of the two, should that effect of light occur, I would expect Shaded White to appear less purple, as it sits that bit further away from the Yellow-Red Hue Family.

Paint colours are best viewed in your space, with your lighting, before choosing - but in particular worth doing for near neutral colours such as these, which are far more affected by changes in light than more colourful colours.

• australasia78

Thank you - love that colour wheel and the breakdown you can provide. i Bought a tin of slaked lime deep but may have to keep it for another room and go for shaded white. With all the brown in that room, slaked lime deep Will have a peach tinge - I’ve seen that happen in another room Which it does at certain times of the day. In the same room it can also appear a bit green 🙃 thank you !!!

• Marylee H

Thanks for the feedback! They are both lovely colours, but it’s great when you can tailor your choice to best fit the light & context, as you are.

Good luck!

🌈