mick_miah

Victorian bedroom- trash or retain

Mick Miah
4 years ago

Hi Friends,

Wifey and I are working through the house bit by bit and now a problem that affects all of our bedrooms. Sometime in the past these old wardrobes were fitted into the recess beside the fireplace. Was thiis done contempraneously with the house build or fitted subsequently. If they were part of the original fittings i might retain them if not...well they a bit of a mess.

Wifey says retain, me at-em-with-a-hammer. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• E D
    4 years ago

The wardrobe in the alcove doesn’t look particularly bad but not particularly great either and in my opinion is not original to the house.

I’d keep the fireplace.

I quite like your wooden (veneer) retro wardrobe btw.

Mick Miah thanked E D
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

They may well be original as the styling looks right. Shame they don’t reach the ceiling. Here’s some images I found of newly fitted Victorian style fitted wardrobes. Just because a wardrobe is original it isn’t always of good quality, so over to you!

Mick Miah thanked Sonia
  • cushioncover
    4 years ago

How deep are they ?

Original wardrobes were often designed for clothes to be hung *facing you* rather than side on as modern ones.

Personally I like them, if They are deep I would get a carpenter to make a matching fill in cupboard above

Mick Miah thanked cushioncover
  • Mick Miah
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cushioncover, they are barely deep enough to hang a shirt so maybe they are for front-on hanging- interesting. TY.

I have spent some time today taking a long look at them. It appears that they are cut into the chimney breast which would leave me having to form a corner for 2m which i am not feeling confident that i can do well. I think they might be remaining.

• Mick Miah
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dear ED,

We live in Folkestone and have loads of folks popping back n forward to and from France bringing lots of nice stuff back. We have a matching dresser and was our first purchase when we moved in 5yrs ago. I fell completely in love with its look.

• Mick Miah
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia,

Thank you so much for the pics. They look like a much smarter version of what i have. Now you have me thinking i could re-vamp them entirely. mmm /thinkingcapon

• E D
    4 years ago

I think keeping the fitted wardrobe is a good decision.

A good colour paint job and some nice handles will do wonders with the look.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

If they don’t work for you then get rid.
    Personally I would have something you like instead.
    The doors might have a salvage value- you might also consider putting them in the front of deeper wardrobes either here or elsewhere.
    All of this assumes you are able to get rid and your home is not protected by any kind of listing.

• Sue S
    4 years ago

The fitted wardrobe looks fine. Some old leather suitcases or some smart hatboxes might look good on top, depending on the style of the rest of the room. I acquired a leather suitcase from a jumble sale some years ago, and some cheap modern hatboxes which I covered with wallpaper to tone with the rest of the decor. Your fireplace is lovely too!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.