webuser_71660

skim, overboard or alternative plastering for stairway?

Tani H-S
4 years ago

Had been really hoping to leave the old painted lining paper on this part of the staircase wall (which never got plastered when we did the room) but it was too badly damaged.

So I’ve tried painstakingly to strip it by hand without using a steamer (so I didn’t blow the delicate plaster as it’s over old 30’s lathes) which has taken me hours.

However... it’s an absolute mess underneath. Where they had knocked a handrail peg in it cracked all the plaster which isn’t stable (you can tell when you tap it) and the top of the plaster has come away from the stair section. Also gouges and other cracks.

Am I right in thinking that a plasterer won’t just be able to skim over this to correct it all???
Have I just wasted a day stripping it when they will probably have to overboard it instead? 😱

Comments (11)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

**** or should I just patch it myself and then paper over it?? 😂

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I saw your dilemma yesterday Tani, but I really don’t know what the answer is. Is all the plaster wobbly and ready to fall? I think they call it blown.........If it feels firm then I think patching it will do. My stepson is a plasterer so I’ll ask him next time he pops round.🧐

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia,

Yes the bit around the hole has blown (couldn’t remember the word) but it’s plaster on the old lathes with horsehair type wadding so it’s fairly delicate anyway I guess.

I have messaged a plasterer to see if they can come and advise as I can’t face pulling it all off as I’m allergic to dust (officially! Lol!) so it would give me such bad health. Husband doesn’t wanted to shorten the stair width by reboarding so we might have to look at ply lining it with thin ply ie making a faux panelled wall with the section routed out worse case!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aw thank you for asking him and yes - we are very oop North, ha ha (near Blackpool!)

I have a plasterer coming over tonight hopefully to have a look as well and see what he thinks. It was a recommendation as the other ones we have had have been useless.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

That’s good to hear. Hope all goes well 😊

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No expert but I too did notice your plaster is the older style with laths.

Sonia’s brother’s advice sounds like good advice and in any case, repairing the plaster will look much nicer than using (dry wall) boarding.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So he said that as I don’t want to pull it off, he would patch it all in - fix any holes and remove any loose stuff first. Scrim all the cracked areas and cracks where it’s blown (so they don’t come through to the new plaster) - use a blue grit plaster(?) which bonds better instead of using pva glue then final top plaster coat.

So hopefully it will be ok 😂

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Sounds good to me! 👍😊

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well he did a fab job! Over two long half days he prepped it really well. Taped up all the cracks then the stuff he painted on was like sand paper grit so it bonded with the new plaster. Has a great finish. Now I just need to paint it....

• Sonia
    4 years ago

A good plasterer is worth their weight in gold! Glad it’s sorted.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.