webuser_895779195

Blind/roller/curtain/other solution for awkwardly large bay windows

Georges Morton
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Dear all,

It's been over a year since I have moved in but have still not figured how how to cover the windows (and able to afford it) of the large 5-section bay windows as shown in the attached photograph.

Curtains would appear to suit the design best (sort of old fashioned) but the drop is 350cm (to the floor) and I worry how much light they will block when in "open" position and how difficult they will be to open or close given the large drop (without ripping the rail out!). I suppose I would need 4 sets of curtains? One on each side and two further on each side of the central bit? Whilst this solution may block too much light when in "open" position, it would hard the rather ugly upvc frames.

With venetian /roman blinds I worry how bulky they will look when in open position. Hardly any websites show what they look like when "retracted" (most of the time). They would need to drop around 285 cm which seems like a lot of weight, bulk, plus I would need 5 of these?

With that in mind maybe 5 x roller blinds would be the cheapest and easier solution as when retracted they would not block a lot of light. but I can't help but feel they will look cheap in both open and closed position.

Any suggestions or unusual solutions I have not thought of?

Thank you all!

Edit: window dressing not required for blacking out light (in fact, I want to get in as much light as possible). mainly required to make windows/room look better and occasionally for privacy

Comments (11)

• Georges Morton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Sarah, I am concerned about the inwards opening windows. Also, where would the shutters move when in open position....just hang over the floor? I need to get in as much light as possible:( good concept though re: hiding window frames! Also, I only have about £2000 at best, so this limits my choice.

• Ellie
    4 years ago

You have lived with them uncovered for over a year, do you really need something on them? I think they are lovely without and don't need anything

• Georges Morton
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

sometimes I do think, why bother, maybe just clear up the top bit (pieces of the old curtain rails still visible), or cover with plants. but i have the odd guest staying there who feel a bit freaked out by the lack of privacy. i even thought above floor standing privacy panels but they dont cover much or take up too much space. even considered privacy film but would obscure the view....perhaps I am overthinking but it is bugging me!

• PRO
    Sartorial Soft Furnishings
    4 years ago

You could have sheer, very lightweight curtains that would give any guests privacy but wouldn’t block too much light in day to day use. If the curtains were less full than usual they may only take up the side windows when open. I would also suggest that you don’t need two pairs as it would break up the flow of the windows.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Not sure on cost but I’ve heard of perfect fit blinds that simply clip onto upvc frames. There’s plenty of retailers but here’s an example https://newblinds.co.uk/perfect-fit-pleated-blinds

Could be an option perhaps?

• PRO
    The Cooks House Interior Design
    4 years ago

Lovely big windows! As others have suggested lightweight light coloured curtains wouldn't have the bulk of thick curtains, so wouldn't take up too much space on each side but they would help frame the windows. They would also still let some light in. If you had white or another light colour they would bring further brightness into the room. But you might only want them either side of the window.
    Also thought these examples of bay windows with roman blinds and simple curtains, still letting light in as the roman blinds could be in a voile like material or a neutral colour. That way you close off where privacy is needed and then have everything open the rest of the time. Hope that helps.

• Georges Morton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the idea of the lightweight,light coloured curtains, might give it a try, thank you all!

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I also think floaty lightweight curtains would look great in your bay window. Linen is lovely too. May I suggest you visit a couple of curtain shops to look at rails? We always had those rubbishy plastic ones which cannot hold the weight of curtains and snap, so we went into a curtain shop and found an unobtrusive white metal rail that was really sturdy. I couldn’t afford their curtains, but we bought the rail! My bay is 12’ and it cost £200 including fitting, and an opening/closing mechanism as well. it’s brilliant! Here’s a couple of pics of big bays like yours with various angles.

• minipie
    4 years ago

What about bottom up roller blinds? In a sheer linen fabric these wouldn’t look cheap (I think) and would hide away very fully when not in use. I believe there are also clip in ones for upvc by Perfect Fit.

• minipie
    4 years ago

Having said that, a table in the bay with some things on it (lamp, flowers) would also do a lot for privacy without any window covering being needed.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.