beena_parmar

rebuild or extend

Bee
4 years ago

We are about to seek planning permission for a extension on a 1930’s bungalow, with the full roof being rebuild and significant remodelling inside. The house needs everything doing from plumbing, electrics to making all the changes according to plan.

I have see our budget grow throughout our discussion and wondered if we would be better demolishing and rebuilding. The existing property is likely to need a lot of repair too.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)

• Ellie
    4 years ago

Only you know the numbers and can make that decision....

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

I have heard builders suggest this very often ... unless your building is of significant architectural or historical value - it’s very often a simpler way of getting the house your totally love rather than one you have compromised on ... ( speaking as someone who’s been designing a new build mews house that will be my perfect home as and when I can get around to building it - a few years off yet I bet !)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    4 years ago

This is a really hard question to answer I have done both with clients and it really does depend as each project as each is unique. I had one once where they decided to renovate but we ended up only having the front wall left due to lots of factors and it would have been far to cheaper in the end if they had rebuilt. But I have also had a client who wanted to knock down and rebuild but when we looked at what was there, it didn't take too much jigging around to make it perfect for them.

A few things to consider:

The clients whom have started again ...it is usually because it gives them more design freedom to get what they want. There are no constraints to work with with the old layout or placement of elements. Another big factor is that it is actually usually cheaper to demolish and rebuild than to undergo a full whole-house renovation. May not be what you expect. One reason is that while renovation work has standard (20%) VAT, building a new home is 0% VAT, via a rebate which is a considerable saving.

On the spin side, planning is generally harder and longer with a new-build as it needs to meet 'all' current requirements and legislation's (especially if you have gone straight to an architect and already paid for plans etc rather than a concept planner or an interior designer). It is also not as eco-friendly as it is obviously less wasteful to work with what you can where ever you can then to replace it.

I think the choice really is down to you and what the current house offers you. If it has features that you love, or you have sentimental connections or the layout is perfect ...or something similar then there is merit in keeping the existing house. If not, then it's what is important to you in a build.

Have you spoken to a designer or architect about it?

We often get this question and go through some options and your thoughts at the initial consultations. Sometimes just having a professional ear to talk it through with can help with these major decisions. All the best and I look forward to hearing more.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Speak to your planning office before you get too carried away with planning a brand new house..... there are sometimes situations where they will only permits redeveloping the original house.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.