doumdoumette

alcove design advice for kids bedroom

Lisa
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a design dilemma with the alcove pictured in the attached photo. This alcove is in my son's bedroom and it's the place where I want to store his clothes and other belongings. A fitted wardrobe taking all the space of the alcove is out of question because too expensive. So my idea is to have some shelves installed and create a tidy open storage space, with the teak chest of drawers at the bottom. Do you think that would look nice? Any other suggestion? The problem that I see with the shelving are the side walls: they are unequal in lenght. The left wall is 42 cm deep, the right one is 11 cm deep.

It means that one corner of the shelves will stick out. Will it look strange? Is it a hazard? (can someone hurt their head with the corner of the shelves sticking out on the right?) I was thinking that the shelf could be rounded on the right side but wouldn't it look strange?

Anyway, my idea is to have some kind of twin slot shelving system with lots of big baskets as storage and a clothes rail on the lower shelf. I'll keep the mid-century chest of drawers at the bottom. What do you all think?

The space

The idea I have in mind

Bigger view of the space (before painting)

Inspiration: Twin slot shelving spray painted in gold + plywood shelves (credit Alice in Scandiland)

Inspiration 2: rounded shelf on the right...

Here is the kind of baskets I would use as storage on the shelves (made of natural fibres)

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.