lj_smith91

Lifting ceilings in basement and ground floor Victorian conversion

Lj Smith
4 years ago

Hi,

I’m moving into a micro conversion of a Victorian Townhouse. The four floors have been divided and converted into two massionettes, I’ll be occupying the Basement and ground floors.

The ceilings are incredibly low at 7ft throughout and its somewhat like being in a prison cell. As the rooms are tiny. I’m trying to work out the feasibility of lifting the ceiling by even an inch and installing spotlights.

I’ll obviously get a professional in to this but wondered if anyone might advise what kind of things I need to be aware of. I’m perfectly happy to lose some heat resistance and sound proofing because anyone would go stir crazy with how small it is otherwise!

Comments (6)

• Lj Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately it’s not out of choice, it’s an emergency move. So trying to go into it and make the best of it.

• Angie
    4 years ago

You may not have the option to dispense with sound insulation under the terms of the lease, so do check that.
    To create the illusion of height you could use lamps that cast their light upwards to reflect off the ceiling. And hang pictures fairly low (generally to be recommended we've recently found!) which again gives the illusion of height.
    Large mirrors help give the feeling of space so can be useful in a small room.
    Our kitchen ceiling is fairly low, I can touch it with feet flat on the ground, but it is a very light room so feels spacious.
    Good luck with working out how best to use your space, and to enjoy living there.
    Angie

• E D
    4 years ago

Unless the ceiling of your ground floor space has been lowered, like a ‘false’ ceiling, I don’t think there will be the possibility of making it higher.

The basement area could be dug out more, in effect creating higher ceilings but this is a costly and intrusive job.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Presumably you are referring to the low ceilings of the lower level as the upper level will have been built with higher ceilings so that smoke from fires could dissipate above eye level.
    You can excavate downwards but this is rarely economically viable.
    Instead consider reconfiguring the layout so your less used rooms are downstairs. There are also decorating ways of making a low ceiling less noticeable such as removing cornice, painting walls and skirtings the same colour, having low furniture, leaving your pogo stick outside, using spotlights instead of ceiling pendants, vertical lines to trick the eye that the space is larger, painting the ceiling and walls the same colour so that corners are less noticeable. You might also be able to create bigger window openings so that the space feels more open.

• Jaq Cualey
    4 years ago

I have done a few similar projects and the main driver will be your budget and the existing structure ...keep an open mind and get some ideas of how you want to use the spaces when complete

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.