webuser_4786559

Outdoor Kitchen DIY - Cheap and simple design?

JD
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am looking into building an outdoor kitchen along the rear wall of my semi-detached house. I think this wall in particular as there is an outside drain, an outdoor cold water tap and it is adjacent to the kitchen on the otherside of the wall where power could be routed through easliy. Also I think it would cover up the nasty drain pipes running down the wall from the inside kitchen sink and boiler, plus it keeps the rest of the garden open plan.

My design dilemma is what materials would be suitable for making the outdoor kitchen worktops?

Something that looks contempory/modern, is weather resistant and that requires minimal maintenace?

Also the option of having or easily cutting an aperture in the worktop for plumbing to a sink.

I have seen quite a few designs online but don't have the budget to spend £5-10k. I have seen one simple design which is open at the front (no enclosed cabinet doors) and has the arrangement of a worktop that is split on either side of a gas BBQ and a similar lower shelf for storage. My idea was to have a gap in between so I could fit in a portable gas BBQ to save on cost and have the work top and lower shelf supported on some heavy duty wall mounted brackets. Also incorporate some raised wood sleeper planters on either side which could also be used to support the worktops from the floor.

I've seen the use of concrete and porcelian tile in similar designs.

Tostock, Suffolk · More Info

The edible garden / Garden for a London chef · More Info

However cast concrete looks pricy if you go for a custom design and I am also unsure what base material would be sutable to lay porcellian tile on?

Below is a CAD mock up to illustrate (missing a window) and a current photo of the wall..

Any ideas would be welcome, thank you

Comments (19)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.