ventaconstruction

Clerkenwell Bank Conversion

Nestled in Clerkenwell, there is one of the area’s most beautiful and historical properties - a former bank, Grade II listed building where author Charles Dickens once kept his savings. The Dwelling has now been converted into a residential property.

Bank conversion in Clerkenwell · More Info

Spread amongst four floors on a quaint street near Clerkenwell Green, this property was originally designed in 1816 by English architect Alfred Bartholomew. It was designed as a “Renaissance Palazzo”, with beautiful arched windows, Corinthian columns and stunning classical details throughout the building.

Before:

Our biggest challenge was that this whole-home renovation was to be completed whilst the current occupiers were still living in it. This meant that the project had to be completed in three different phases, one floor at a time.

Before: Kitchen/Living Area

We started with the top floor, taking over a full renovation refurbishing the bedrooms and bathrooms. Historical details were left untouched, such as the original exposed beams across the hallway and the authentic coverings and architectural details.

On the ground floor, we maximised space and natural light, to create an open plan space for the new kitchen, living and dining area. We stripped down parts of the building to its original fabric, long lost over years of alterations and repairs, in order to uncover as much heritage and authenticity. The design team (Ackroyd Lowrie) and the Client decided to go for an industrial-chic feel, exposing all the original steel structure and the rear brick wall, incorporating modern solutions and so creating a space where rough past meets new design.

Last phase was the first floor, an area dedicated to more formal occasions, including a calm and relaxing snug, with a beautiful glass bar encased between a gold ceiling and amazingly detailed wallpaper, a staggering drawing/reception room for events painted in striking blue colors and remarkable crown mouldings and original details, and a back of house intended for preparation purposes.

We could not be prouder to have been part of the latest transformations and renovation of this property - transforming it into a dream house.

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.