chaitanya_appana

Clod Tiles vs Laminate - Underfloor heating with Air source heat pump

Chaitanya Appana
4 years ago

Hello there!

Need a great URGENT help in solving this confusion!

We are getting a new build with Open plan Living room and Kitchen together which has a WET Underfloor Heating installed and supported through a Air source Heat Pump!

We are confused to Tile or Laminate or Luxury Vinyl the whole place!

We are afraid that Tiles might be cold when UFH is not ON and are concerned if the Bills will be high if we have to keep UHF most-time ON considering its Air source Heat Pump powered by electricity!!

At the same-time worried that UFH will not do justice and wont work effective if used with less thermal conducting Laminate / Vinyl-planks as added to that the Heat Pump would be less powerful than gas-bolier!! More concerns are if Laminate are OK for Kitchen !?

Can you please clear this with your recommendations in between these three types for flooring Living Room + Kitchen together -

we hardly got these couple of days to confirm the builder with our ask! Appreciate your response as a great help in advance

Thanks & regards.

Comments (3)

• Anne-Marie Lees
    4 years ago

LVT or Laminate all the way. You're right with tiles, as they will be cold underfoot. We brought our LVT from The Makeover Centre and had underfloor heating fitted. They advised us on what would be the best and they also suggested either laminate or LVT and pointed us in the direction of their blog so we could compare it ourselves. So we went with LVT as they are easy to clean and maintain.

Hope that helps.

Chaitanya Appana thanked Anne-Marie Lees
  • Chaitanya Appana
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you Anne!

Are the LVT doing justice with the Under floor heating!?

I mean is the Room getting enough warmed to resist winters as-well or do you think LVT is insulating too-much to transmit up the heat..

Lastly - have you got a gas boiler or something like air source heat pump (i'm guessing the former) :-)

Appreciate your response - Thankyou.

• obobble
    4 years ago

Regardless of what finish you choose, the thing with wet UFH is that it relies on heat building up in and being stored in the floor slab. You don’t really ever turn it off in the winter, you just set the room thermostats for different temperatures at different times of the day. In the summer you just set the thermostat to frost setting so it never kicks in. We have tiles and I like having a cool floor in the summer heat, as do my dogs. In autumn and spring other finishes may feel more cosy as sometimes the tiled floor doesn’t feel obviously warm when the air is up to temp, tho it’s not properly cold either.

Chaitanya Appana thanked obobble
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.