chaitanya_appana

TILES vs Laminate vs LVT - Underfloor heating with Heat Pump

Chaitanya Appana
4 years ago

Hello there!

Need a great URGENT help in solving this confusion!

We are getting a new build with Open plan Living room and Kitchen together which has a WET Underfloor Heating installed and supported through a Air source Heat Pump!

We are confused to Tile or Laminate or Luxury Vinyl the whole place!

We are afraid that Tiles might be cold when UFH is not ON and are concerned if the Bills will be high if we have to keep UHF most-time ON considering its Air source Heat Pump powered by electricity!!

At the same-time worried that UFH will not do justice and wont work effective if used with less thermal conducting Laminate / Vinyl-planks as added to that the Heat Pump would be less powerful than gas-bolier!! More concerns are if Laminate are OK for Kitchen !?

Can you please clear this with your recommendations in between these three types for flooring Living Room + Kitchen together -

we hardly got these couple of days to confirm the builder with our ask! Appreciate your response as a great help in advance

Thanks & regards.

Comments (9)

• Tani H-S
    4 years ago

We decided not to have UFH in our open plan extension which houses kitchen /diner and lounge as we are south facing and the two rads plus log burner we have keep it toasty. Instead we have vinyl flooring which isn’t ever cold underfoot. It’s brilliant in the kitchen and after this I would never recommend laminate (we had that in our old house!)
    Wouldn’t go for tiles unless you split it off in the kitchen as you say, they are hard and cold underfoot so if you don’t intend of having the heating on full time then go for vinyl.

Not 100% sure of the thermal properties of vinyl vs tiles so maybe someone else can chip in with that aspect

Chaitanya Appana thanked Tani H-S
  • Chaitanya Appana
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou Tani for the response - much appreciate!

Anymore inputs guys who have got Underfloor Heating!?

• Sam N
    4 years ago

I should also have said that we love the LVT, it is never cold underfoot like ceramic tiles, even if the underfloor heating is off.....its super easy to keep clean too.

Chaitanya Appana thanked Sam N
  • Chaitanya Appana
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou Sam!

Much relieving to listen from someone having UHF + LVT so far!

Appreciate a ton!! Boost some confidence!

Which LVT you've got !? I'm intended now towards:

https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Golden-Select-Classic-Walnut-Rigid-Core-SPC-Luxury-Vinyl-Flooring-Planks-with-Foam-Underlay-155-m-Per-Pack/p/ClassicWalnut

Just wondering if I should buy/lay a Underlay again apart from the built-in 1MM it comes with this!

Cheers and best regards.

• Tani H-S
    4 years ago

I had a much cheaper LVT that the commercial companies use and it’s lovely. It’s by a company called cavalio and you can contact them directly and get a free sample book sent to you. They do two ranges - a thinner mm and a deeper one and we got the deeper one as more hard wearing (same spec as karndean etc) but the price was about £21psqm !!
    We shopped around but got our local flooring store to order it in for us as he price matched (and it’s nice to give locals business)

Cavalio also send our small samples and larger full planks when you narrow down your choice.

Chaitanya Appana thanked Tani H-S
  • User
    4 years ago

y

Chaitanya Appana thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

your floor choice will work great :)

i have ufh in new build with air source heatpump and 21mm thick engineered wood floor (probably only carpet and solid wood would be considered less effective) and it is great, id make same choice again. i have ceramic tiles in 2 bathrooms and it definitely conducts heat better, lovely and warm underfoot when heating is running but as others have said its cooler the rest of the time. the remainder of the house just has a lovely even heat.

its also very cost effective,i pay same in 4 bed, 2 bath house as i did in a previous 2 bed house (which was also new build but storage heaters).

please forgive the lack of punctuation and poor sentences, this is my third attemp at posting a reply and ive lost patience writing the same thing!

• User
    4 years ago

also i should add that I dont believe you turn UFH off, you should keep it on but you just adjust the temperature.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.