sam_potter37

Bedroom decorating scheme advice

Sam Potter
4 years ago

Hi
I'm at it again. This time it's my bedroom. I've bought a second hand kingsize ottoman bed. And a set of IKEA pax sliding wardrobe doors.
My room is 4m x approx 5m, and my intention is to have pax wardrobes across the 4m fireplace wall. It's blocked up so no issues there. Two deep ones will sit in the alcoves and two shallow ones will sit in front of the chimney breast.
I have a window on the wall adjacent to the chimney breast and the door is at end of the wall opp. the chimney breast, furthest from the window wall.
Bargain hunting has forced me into a colour scheme I've never used before. The bed is 'mink' (it looks pink to me). And the wardrobe doors are grey glass.
What colour/s should I paint the walls? The ceiling is high (3m), with a fab cornice. The window is 1m wide by 2m tall, with a stripped antique pine surround. The floor is white painted floorboards.
The pendant bedside lights are currently on black fabric flexes, with tin cans used as shades, which I love but am open to change.The central pendant has a large paper shade.
I'm open to anything, but I like the idea of understated relaxing luxury. First time for everything

Comments (73)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

What you put on the floor is down to you. If you choose carpet you can get a luxurious feeling polypropylene carpet (I would choose a silver grey) but expect the pile to be flattened in a few years.
    Given so much of the floor will be covered with furniture would rugs be easier? If you choose a rug a would have a patterned one for practicality and choose one in a more saturated color version of the bed color - try a claret color next to it to see what you think

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good tips Jonathan. I currently have that ubiquitous Fake Beni Ourain rug. The one with its own Instagram account, apparently. It's nice, but not on my side of the bed, and the dog 'likes' it (not in a good way). Maybe if I went down the chocolate route for an accent colour, rather than aubergine, it would work?
    But the next couple of weekends is wardrobe building, and extra lighting installation, so I have time to ponder.

• Related Discussions

Bedroom colour scheme advice

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Louise, In a room like this I always like to keep the walls and ceilings ( including the small door and frame 1 colour...in this case a lavender. I'd start by finding colour chips that have the same colour as the carpet, and then go a few shades lighter but in the same tome. All baseboards and door to hall should be the same colour as the iron beds...off white. With the walls a colour you'll be able to see the pretty pattern of the frame. OR find a small scaled pattern of any of the shades of purple and the cream same as the bed frame) with the same fabric. Make custom bedding to match. In a small room 1 pattern works well everywhere. If you go the paint route, try to find fabric with soft gold, lavender, purple for a skirted table between the beds if there's room. You can put it on a cardboard table and base...found in some fabric or craft stores. Top it with a thin piece of glass ( Pier 1) and away you go.Don't be afraid of colour or small pattern in a small space, as you are going for the impact. Have fun! Shaila
    ...See More

Help with a boring bedroom

Q

Comments (23)
    Adding width BEHIND THE BED - with a headboard (which doesn't have to be a "headboard"; it could be fabric, collection of mirrors, collection of pictures, a farm gate!, small chairs or stools) across the entire width. Matching bedside tables/bookcases/chests/ with LAMPS - useful storage for extra books, extra bedding, etc. CURTAINS always warm up a room. People will always feel colder away from home - provide an extra blanket or duvet to add to the bed. I notice there is no WARDROBE. Not really necessary for overnight guests (provide hooks on the back of the door) but useful for storing your out-of-season coats, etc. There is plenty of room behind the door. Buy one on eBay and paint it to suit your colour scheme.
    ...See More

need help for a bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi. Is this the Rockefeller image? If so, It's quite grey so I'd go for either chalky white or a pale grey for walls. Maybe a mid grey for curtains, if the light is good, have a look at Next for ideas. Mix white, grey and charcoal for the bed. Add a couple of black accents like a picture frame, lamp shade etc. maybe go for a mustard as an accent colour (think New York cabs!)
    ...See More

Bedroom Updating - no idea where to start!

Q

Comments (3)
    There may have been too much text on the posting. Not sure what device you're on but it doesn't work on an iPad if there's too much text! Try uploading again or if that doesn't work create a new Ideabook and save them in there
    ...See More
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

Hi Sam, I watched an episode of Escape to The Country yesterday where they went back and visited people who had escaped. One very trendy woman had used taupe throughout her new home and it looked amazing. She used it with the palest of blue in some rooms and with black accents in other rooms. It looked so elegant. Even her front door and windows were painted taupe!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sonia that top pic does look good. Though I don't think I'm ever going to be a 'cushion that's not a pillow on the bed' person. Maybe other half will volunteer to be cushion monitor. He sits up watching movies in bed so he might like them. The new bed was partly in response to him moaning about my wooden headboard being no good as a back rest.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

That rooms does look rather styled I agree, I wonder how many people bother with that many cushions anyway? It’s just to show you how black can lift neutral taupes. The house I saw has tempted me down the taupe route. Maybe search Kelly Hoppens designs as she is the queen of taupe!

• Carolina
    4 years ago

@Jules Mc I didn't suggest the chocolate raspberry colour scheme (now I want cake!), it was colourhappy :-) But funnily enough my first thought was brown/pink. I was however more thinking along these lines:

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

.. And radiator replacement (it's too long), and window repair/replacement. Sigh.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carolina that's very nice. I'm getting my head round the colour possibilities, slowly.

• E D
    4 years ago

”people that had escaped” lol Sonia. :-)

• E D
    4 years ago

I’m with your OH Sam, a softer headboard is great.

I’m also with you, more than two pillows each is overkill.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Sam, for a relaxing bedroom and to bring all your things that you already have together, I'd intensify pink (similar to FB Sulking Room Pink) on the walls and add some picture gallery wall above the bed in black frames add some more wood and linen.

So earthy, linen, colours with black and dark chocolate accents

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Only 2 cushions on the bed?!..... that’s for amateurs..... I have 14

• E D
    4 years ago

Lol, Jonathan. Where do you sleep? On the couch? :-)

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's nothing Jonathan, I bet Beano has concrete cushions he casts himself.

• Carolina
    4 years ago

hahaha

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

@ED it helps that I’m only 4’2” and like to sleep sitting upright.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jonathan are you actually a novelty pyjama case?

• Patrina
    4 years ago

@sam I think carpet does give you a feeling of luxe plus it feels great underfoot. Since you are not afraid to take on a challenge, B&Q does a really great video on laying carpet. You could give it a try, I used it to lay some in our reading room this weekend. I chose a pale silvery grey carpet that I think will look great with your scheme. Link to video if you are feeling brave :-) https://youtu.be/QJqI88F0wAM

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Oops, sorry Colour happy and Carolina. I think I'd gone Houzz blind!!
    And don't things move on quickly when you actually leave the house go to work rather than pretend to 'work from home' ?? Feel like I've missed out on a right party here (lots of emojis required here to emphasise my point!!)

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patrina your room looks ace! I dunno... Its expensive if you make a mistake cutting carpet. Plus not only does the dog wee on my rug already, but I just got back from a work trip to find the cat has weed on my duvet. Grrr. Might have to wait til they've both 'gone to live on a farm'

• PRO
    4 years ago

Sam, do you have bedside tables or dressers? you can add a lot of character and a bit of colour by updating Ikea Tarva bedside table or a dresser or Rast

• Patrina
    4 years ago

@Sam thank you, still waiting for the blind and a few more bits to arrive. Laying the carpet was pretty sraight forward. I picked up the carpet knee kicker on FB (yeah another tool!) for less than £20 and I saved £100 doing it myself.

• PRO
    4 years ago

do you have a picture of your lights?

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love a bargain Patrina! I spent £120 on 4m of sliding doors and two wardrobes, saving more than £500 on the new IKEA prices, and got my new bed for £120 too, which would've been around £500 new. Not a bad haul!
    Marina I've got a pair of white ikea hemnes bedside tables which I might swap for small chests of drawers to create more storage. They're more scandi than luxe I think.

• PRO
    4 years ago

if you add a different knob or a pull and put piece of glass on the top it will look more lux :)

• PRO
    4 years ago

curtains tie backs and bedroom ottoman / blanket box would add a feel of luxury

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Marina.
    Tiebacks! I'm so far from my normal comfort zone now my mum is going to start liking my decor!
    But I'm game for it. What's the worst that can happen? And I rather like the glass tops for the bedside tables. I presume on laminate table tops they serve no functional purpose. Is it the increased light reflection that I'm trying to achieve by doing this?
    Crystal knobs might be a step too far for me, but I might go to rose gold or copper, depending on how I upgrade my bedside pendant shades.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You are having fun and your mum would like your decor - win win! it will look really nice and you will enjoy it.

yes, the glass is really to protect the wood and then it looks pretty and reflects the light as you said. you can add a glass of different colour to add colour.

Do you have a picture of the room? could you post the plan, please? the room is very large. you can add nice chest of drawers as bedside table.

are you adding any other areas, like desk or reading nook etc?

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Sam, i saw this picture and the jelly mould lights reminded me of yours although it's a near identical colour panelling and walls in our (empty) spare room. Are the wardrobe doors staying as they are or being customised (not saying they're not lovely as they are, just asking!)? Are they part see-through? They also read as green on my screen? I know these cushions are a bit "loud" but just liked the hotel room vibe (although it is actually one!) with the quirky lights and I added the art for a victorian feel

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Minnie101. The lights are cute. I was thinking of translucent pink glass ones with a curvy shape. Trying to steer myself away from industrial/eclectic/bold and quirky this one time. I think it's to do with how exhausted I am when I'm ever in my bedroom. I don't tend to hang out there, just fall into bed dog tired. Then up at 5.45 for the gym (mid life fat girl crisis!).
    The wardrobe doors are semi translucent, yes, and they do have a green cast to them in some lights, though not in this photo. I'm not currently planning to customise them, though Ikea do a range of replacement panels, including mirrors, so it's a possibility.
    Re art, I have a couple of small flowery prints that might look good in the finished room, but I think they'll probably be too small, so I might see if I can get creative and make something that's the right colour. I also have an aubergine 1940s headscarf which I've been meaning to frame for years, which might provide the right colours for using as accents in the room.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

If the green tinge to the glass isn’t your thing you could inexpensively cover each panel with sticky plastic sheets. A lot come in a near perfect 67.5cm wide roll and probably for less than £50 you could make these bargains look brand new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d-c-fix-Sticky-Plastic-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl/dp/B005ELVP2M/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=sticky+plastic+roll&qid=1579099449&sprefix=sticky+pkastic&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1579099733630

• Victoria
    4 years ago

You could remount the small flower pictures with wide mounts to enlarge the overall frame size and use the accent colours to achieve this.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I think getting up at 5.45 might do it! A low carb diet is a very quick fix for us :)

i was just curious re the doors as you mentioned clutter so didn't know if being able to see through would bug you but maybe your wardrobe is tidier than mine! I like Jonathans idea which would be easy if you did want to customise them. I can't see any bedroom ideas in your ideabook but did spot a tree mural. I thought something like this could work (not sure how to affix it though) but now I've seen the door properly can see the panes are real as I thought the horizontal ones might just be printed on. The other idea is to cover in jute/burlap which is really cheap although again not sure how to do it, Or may sound mad, but cant see why it wouldn't work on a larger scale, but I had 2 kitchen wall cupboards with glass panes which I covered with zinseer and then used eggshell over the top. Wardrobes painted in the wall colour do give a calm feel as they blend in.

Maybe you could also add a comfy chair and light for reading away from everyone if you want a chill space?

• PRO
    4 years ago

The doors with the glass as they are right now, can look good too in this white on white scheme. You could install some cabinet lighting and use it in the evening as a mood lighting or 5:45am if you don’t want to put the full lights all the way. I have 4 different lights around the wardrobe area, I’m very sensitive to the light early in the morning.

I really like minnie101’s idea about cane sliding doors. Can look very luxurious and warm at the same time.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Another Minnie101’s idea on trees! Photo wall does wallpaper murals. It could look fantastic in a pink or grey and white

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I know it's not "hotel" but I love that last image Marina posted, it's so pretty and relaxing. I think something like that would work really well with the existing floorboards, hemnes, paper light (and perhaps the covered doors)? I also love the washed linen and muslin throws etc that are around, look lovely and no ironing :)

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minnie101 and Marina, you guys are spot on about the wardrobe doors. I hadn't thought of the clutter showing through the glass. I am (as usual) on a low/no budget, so the most easily achievable suggestions are to paint them the same colour as the walls, or cover them with something I already have. I do have a load of plain, very rough-textured hessian curtains from the sunroom in my old house, and two kinds of cream, linen-like ones I got off freecycle, one with large fern leaves in pale beige, and one the same but with pale brown fern leaves. Both of these are almost a full bale of fabric each, so they're also a possibility for curtains. I'm going to empty the room of remaining clutter tomorrow, and I'll post some photos of it and the fabrics.

• Victoria
    4 years ago

If possible you could use fabric on the back of the doors for a more subtle effect.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Phew. I use Houzz as a prompt to do DIY on my days off! Here's what will hopefully be the 'before' pics.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the three fabrics I have which might work. The fern designs are Laura, Ashley, not made up into curtains yet, plenty for anything I want to do with it. Plus I have half a dozen hessian type curtains from my old house. No good for curtains here as they're too short. But might work for door panels.

• Alix W
    4 years ago

Hello, I’m late to the party, but I updated some pax doors (not this style though) for cheap with paint and fake silver gilding in the panels - and they looked a treat. Was wondering if gilding on the reverse of the glass with copper or brass might give a lovely subdued glow to your luxury boudoir?

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nice idea, Alix W. Got any photos?

• Alix W
    4 years ago

Just this one, apparently- pax is on the right. Don’t judge the fact that I couldn’t be bothered to paint the side of the wardrobe - it was before I knew about Zinsser and I thought you couldn’t paint melamine!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That looks great! It's got a 1920s feel.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

It's a lovely room, I like the floorboards. Fabrics are good too, maybe leaves for curtains and hessian for the wardrobe? Are there any ideas or colours that are grabbing you at all?

If you did want to stay light neutral'ish for the walls what about a dark chocolate ceiling?

• PRO
    4 years ago

I think the lighter fern fabric for the curtains would look very nice. And then linen, hessian, grey with pink warm undertone for the walls and ceiling, that the curtains almost blend in, and dark tone black shade for the window frame and the door. You can paint the nightstands black (if I can convince you to add a crystal knob. Alix’s pax handle looks really nice on black) and black low bookshelf in the corner where you have your shelves now, but window height and tour prints above it

. Are you keeping that desk in your bedroom or is it for your daughter’s room? You are keeping it, put it under the window with your table mirror on it.

Hessian fabric on the wardrobe door and paint the ridges black also.

I would go with hessian fabric outside of the glass, it not entirely sure how difficult it is to do, tbh. if You put the fabric inside the glass you’d need to use a transparent glue. You are very good with diy, should be able to do it. If the fabric goes outside of the glass it will have a very different effect from the one if it goes under the glass.

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Marina, thanks for that. Black door eh? I was planning on doing all the woodwork the same colour as walls. Dark woodwork with a lighter wall feels a bit 80s. What are you suggesting in the corner where the low shelves are?
    I like the idea of painting the bedside tables black. They are getting a bit battered so need a revamp. Just for you I will try crystal knobs! What's the worst that could happen? Might make a start on the curtains today. I'm so knackered from clearing the room I can't face wardrobe building!

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minnie101 I'll post a few pics of the doors with different backings/covering, to see what you all think.

• Alix W
    4 years ago

Sam, don’t know if it helps, but I’m not a fan of neutrals but eventually painted two bedrooms taupe after a few paint misadventures. Used Dulux Definitely Taupe. One room had dark paintwork and one light. They both felt much more relaxing than before - pics attached. Here I would be a bit worried that taupe is too close to the headboard colour though?
    I’m also on a budget and can recommend H&M for linen duvet covers etc, and IKEA for velvet cushion covers all at reasonable prices. Lovely for adding texture and layers. Also lots of old velvet curtains on eBay- we bought and got them re-made into roman blinds with lots of fabric left over for cushion covers etc.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, painting the woodwork the same colour as walls will be more relaxing. When I suggested , I had this in mind

However, the framed refined look can be achieved also with white and brass too

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.