webuser_477296097

Should we knock this wall down?

Vicki Shiel
4 years ago

Hi there,

We’re debating whether to knock down this wall to create an open-plan kitchen-diner and would really appreciate your views. (Floor plan and pics below).

We don’t have the budget at the moment to do the full works i.e. a full project including a small extension to even out the shape of the room, bi-folding doors, new flooring etc as we suspect this would be circa £40k.

We’re thinking of knocking the wall down this spring to open the rooms up on a short-term basis. Then doing the full works in a year and a half.

Is this a good idea..? We’re concerned about each room having different flooring, wall colours, decor etc... (as you can see in the photos - excuse the mess - we’re in the home improvement zone). And as you can see in the floor plan, the kitchen is an L-shape currently.

Photos: the first one is the dining room and the wall you see is the one we’re thinking of knocking through - the kitchen is on the other side. The second photo is from the hall, looking into the dining room on the left and the kitchen on the right. The third is the kitchen and shows the other side of the wall we intend to knock down).

Many thanks for any advice!
Vicki

No, wait for a full extension
Yes, knock it down now

Comments (14)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.