gillpjames

To bidet or not to bidet?

gillpjames
4 years ago

About to start planning renovation on two bathrooms. How important is it to include a bidet these days? We have always fitted a bidet but I’m aware they are not always popular in the uk.

Comments (13)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Fit the bathroom for your needs not the next buyer. If you want a bidet then you should have one

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

It’s a definite no from me.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

In Italy bidets are very popular, but I’m not keen. It’s just that they look like toilets without a lid to me. No likey.

• Ellie
    4 years ago

Is that one of those extra toilets that I have often spotted in old run-down properties on holiday in Spain? Is it an extra toilet if someone's already in, or for washing sand off your feet?

• Ellie
    4 years ago

Oh yuk, just googled to find out what it is actually for. ?

• PRO
    empressbathrooms
    4 years ago

All in one bidet toilet

• AMB
    4 years ago

Standalone bidets are a definite no-no in the UK. A nicer toilet, or spray, is more acceptable. However, if the renovation is for you, choose what you feel most comfortable with.

• AMB
    4 years ago
    • a bidet-toilet , or spray...
  • gillpjames
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A Spray is our preferred option but thought they were illegal here. Been away too long and obviously designs have changed. The WC/spray combinations are ugly and can be very difficult to clean. We will go the handheld spray route. Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments

• Tani H-S
    4 years ago

Eek, the thought of a spray in a toilet one is really gross! It’s not exactly hygienic :0/

To be honest - (I’m in the uk) I would have liked a bidet as they are handy but I think they need to update the design better to something that doesn’t look like a toilet with no lid! (As mentioned previously)

• Emmanuelle
    4 years ago

Bidets were very common in France too. We have never used ours in my childhood house for its real purpose... my mum has always used it to soak clothes or hand washing delicates. Nowadays, bidets are not so popular though. Take lots of room and it’s as quick to have a shower!

• nmlondon
    4 years ago

Not a bidet, they are not nice and bulky. Buy a Japanese/Korean style toilet (they also come as plug-in lid-only but only saw them in shops in SKorea) or the Asian style hand-held shower spray (shataf) (these are great washing cat litter boxes too, when we lived in UAE;) - they are everywhere in the Gulf region and neighbouring countries

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.