toby_watfa

Ideas on what to do with removed chimney breast overhang

Toby Watfa
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all. We purchased an Edwardian flat that a long time ago had its chimney breast removed. Our builders, at the advice of building control, made it safe with gallows brackets. However this now means we have an 38cm deep overhang of bricks in our lounge about 220cm up the wall. The old chimney breast was quite large W220cm x D38cm and the ceiling height is 315cm. We are keeping the room in period style with ornate cornicing, a big panelled bay window on one side of the room, and a white shaker kitchen on the other side (its open plan)

We cant decide weather to rebuild the chimney breast with partitioning and have the fireplace as it originally was. Similar to the below. However that would lose sooo much space.

Or alternatively to cap the overhang off with some corbelling and leave it open with a log burning fire, something like the below:

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome! The cosmetic look is our main concern, however the flues are in place incase we did want a solid fuel fire for heat.

A video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XeZYR4m9P1jQV1DL6

Comments (9)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.