webuser_379869187

Help with layout

Sandra Sambridge
4 years ago

Hi everyone

We have just had our offer excepted on this 3 bedroom detached house (eeeek )

We are struggling to come up with a layout that will work for us, we need to add a downstairs toilet and utility, plus the kitchen is too small. So do we extend across the back (if we can do in budget ) or can we change the layout we have already ? Also would like a nicer hallway, and don’t want to keep the integral garage.. we have £60k to spend but that includes new kitchen, bathroom, and updating, sorry so many questions! Thanks

Comments (29)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Bumping

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I would look at building a 4m x 4m extension, having a formal reception open to the hallway so that the hall seems bigger and then turn the garage into a wc and utility/bootroom.
    But the budget is tight to do the renovation and extension- you will have to watch costs carefully

Sandra Sambridge thanked Jonathan
  • Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Jonathon,

yes thought it might be tight with budget to do an extension we thought of doing one straight across the back for a more open plan look.

how difficult would it be to move or turn the staircase, to give us a bigger kitchen and hall ? Thanks

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

If you don't want to keep the garage then you could convert that into the kitchen and turn the current kitchen into a utility room and toilet. You could also make the whole downstairs more open plan, although it looks like you probably have a few structural walls to the hallway, but you could open up selectively.

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you I-architect
    I’m keen on this idea of converting garage into kitchen but husband doesn’t want the kitchen in the front of the house, and wants to extend at the back. I’m reluctant to do extension because of the budget as there is lots of updating to do as well. If we could move the staircase into the garage with a toilet, would this be a possibility, making the hall bigger and the kitchen ? Or would this end up costing as much as the extension? Thanks for any feedback

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

It's hard to know really without better plans. Estate agents plans are a bit too inaccurate. For example it looks like you can't really get to the bathroom and toilet from the landing but I bet you can much more easily than those plans suggest anyway. So it's hard to give you really useful advice based on those plans.

You might be able to change the staircase without having a massive impact on the bedrooms but the easiest thing to do will be to leave it as it is. Changing the stair, even just a bit, looks like it will have some impact on the upstairs and then you'll have to spend money fixing that - removing and rebuilding walls and floors etc.

It looks like upstairs you would either leave it as it is and simply redecorate, or combine the bathroom and toilet and a bit of the landing space to make a bigger bathroom and fit that out. Bathrooms are on their own a relatively expensive area to refresh.

There are benefits to having the kitchen overlooking the front - it can help you get to know the neighbours. If you like a really open plan feel then you could still get some views to the back from the garage anyway, depending on how you open up the space.

My free checklist might help you and your partner come to an agreement.

Design Your Home Vision Checklist: https://bit.ly/2P1quQ6

Jane :)

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thank you so much I’ll have a look at you checklist
  • Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for all your great advice.
    There really is so much to think about and we are going round in circles, but I guess that’s all part of the joys renovating.
    The upstairs landing is what actually sold the house to me it’s very light and open, yes we do need to join the separate toilet and cupboard to make the bathroom better. We will get some better plans drawn up when we actually move in. Thanks again

• rinked
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Though i-architect has some really good points about your floorplan, I went and tweaked it a little.

Let's say your budget let's you: Move the kitchen towards the living area. Add a wc. Turn the current kitchen into a mudroom with washing machine. Give your garage a nice makeover so it can be a lounge. And add your upstairs loo to the bathroom.

This would allow you to extend the old kitchen area later on and perhaps switch living and mudroom or give the converted garage another new function.

• rinked
    4 years ago

And add insulation to your to-do-list. HR+ glazing. Floors, walls. roofs. Costs quite abit but will eventually be paid back in energy savings (and lots of comfort!).

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Whilst I understand the need to do everything and keep to budget I would add that increasing the square footage will likely add most to the resale value. I also think hubby is right about moving the kitchen- when the garage is insulated it won’t be any bigger than the current kitchen.
    If this were my house I would do the extension, replace the kitchen, bathroom, flooring and decorate. And I would put the washing machine at the back of the garage and only convert the garage later when budget allows .

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for all ur great advice it has been so helpful your all amazing taking the time to help. We think we have decided to do a 3m extension across the back opening up the kitchen and dinner, and maybe do a small utility where the side door is now, and do the formal reception to the front. Then hopefully stage two when funds allow do the garage convention. Any thoughts?

• rinked
    4 years ago

Thoughts: Planning! Budget! Managing!

And of course: wish you well with your projects! :)

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you
    All so scary and exciting !! Lol

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Personally I would build a deeper extension across only half the back.
    Your plan would give you an extra room that is 7.5m x 3m which is difficult to furnish. I would build a cheaper 4x4m room that is easier to put furniture in

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Jonathon
    We was thinking of taking out the back of the house to make it open plan through the kitchen and dinner giving a 6m x7.5m I think ?

• rinked
    4 years ago

I agree with Jonathan, extending your current living room will just give you a (too) long room, possibly too dark too.. Whereas your kitchen could be grand. A toilet and utility/mudroom can be taken off the garage, as it already has a side entrance.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    4 years ago

How about open plan? I hope you can get rid of the entrance hall wall.

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would like to move the front door into the garage to get an entrance but not sure if this is possible? Do like the open plan.

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Good idea.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I hope this is possible.

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s great thank you.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Ask a structural enigineer which walls can easily be removed and which need steelwork. (perhaps you already have?) Then create a plan to work towards.

This is your two floors on top of eachother. Since it was the estate agents drawing, it might be completely off..

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you rinq
    we are still at the very early stages but yes will definitely get a structural engineer involved, thank you the drawing makes sense there is definitely a steel though the lounge.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Great idea. In case of open plan probably you will need a column somewhere in the middle of present hall wall (with will be demolished in this case) . I would recommend to make 3d model of the first floor so you have better idea how it will look and see all the possibilities.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think you need to carefully budget. Perhaps the thing to do it breakdown the cost of all the work you want to make the house look finished and this will give you a budget of how much is available for building.
    I would break down the budget like this-
    Cost of inexpensive or used kitchen and appliances and fitting £12,000.
    Cost of fitting bathroom including taking out the wall £10,000
    Upstairs flooring £1700
    Downstairs flooring £4500
    Electrician to upgrade consumer unit, move some sockets, spotlights for kitchen and bathroom- £3000.
    Heating engineer- replace some radiators with smaller or move for better furniture placement, flush system and service boiler £800.
    Update internal doors £2000
    Curtain poles to hang own curtains from old house and purchase some new blinds £700.
    Hall door to garage £800.
    Stud wall with insulation to divide through lounge £1100.
    This leaves only £13,000 to build an extension- @£1600 per square meter this buys you something bathroom sized. By finding a cheap builder you might be able to reduce the cost per square meter but I suspect £1100 per square meter will be the absolute lowest you will find, this will put you £5000 over budget if you build my suggestion of a 4m x4m extension and with no contingency fund you will have to cut costs elsewhere.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

https://usedkitchenhub.com/showroom/kitchen-categories/all-kitchens/contemporary-shaker-style-kitchen-mussel-natural-oak-colour-appliances-21119579/

This link illustrates that a used or ex display kitchen could work for your home. Don’t forget to add the cost of transportation and fitting which will likely add £2500 to the purchase price.
    If it is an ex display kitchen you may be able to get additional units at a discount.

• Sandra Sambridge
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks Jonathon
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.