rhian_foley

What would you do? Making the most of our space.

Rhian Foley
4 years ago

I'm looking for inspiration. We have a limited budget of £40k and need both extra bedroom space and downstairs living space.

I'd be interested in hearing what you would do with that budget, see floor layout in the pic.

We are a family of 4. Daughter is 2 and son is 6 months.

Thanks!

Comments (34)

• rinked
    4 years ago

Perhaps extend the kitchen to create an open plan kitchen-diner-lounge? Master bedroom where the lounge was?

Why are there no windows on the side (but the front door is)?

• rinked
    4 years ago

Or remove the upstairs bathroom..

• Related Discussions

What would you do with this kitchen? Help!

Q

Comments (16)
    You need some kitchen accessories kettle etc that tie in with the red and also some artwork. The red you have chosen looks on my monitor to be a cool red, perhaps a bit of a warmer shade would help. i would also extend the dining area curtains down to the floor, they will cosy up the space, as would a statement rug to give a bit more life to the room. If your living room is green then it may be nice to have some token green of the same shade, somewhere in the kitchen, a plant or some artwork, and add a bit of the kitchen red to your living room, so that there is some continuity of colour in your home, as opposed to having two separate colour boxes and never the twain shall meet..
    ...See More

Need help making house a home please!

Q

Comments (2)
    very pretty kitchen. but yes, it appears some of your photos didn't post. Try again by commenting below and clicking on "attach images"
    ...See More

What are the most important design considerations for a Self-Build?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Michele, self build is very exciting and we wish you luck for your upcoming project. We have various tips when it comes to our customers designing their home. As some have suggested above understanding how you and your family occupy the space is fundamental in making those early design decisions. We also tell self builders to put 'wants and needs' into 3 columns, must have, nice to have and luxury. This helps define budget and start with the fundamentals before progressing to those items such as cinema rooms or a top end kitchen worktop. There are many helpful tips on our Self Build Academy website also plenty of design and interior inspiration at Potton Self Build Galleries Before you decide that building your home is right for you, ask yourself four questions; Do you have the time and commitment to see your project through to the end. Do you have the skills and knowledge required for the task ahead Do you understand the cost involved and do you have enough money to complete the build Do you have a constitution strong enough to see you through both the highs and lows of building your own home Provided you understand your answers to these questions and can ‘fill the gaps’ when it comes to skills, knowledge, time and funding, then press ahead and enjoy what is probably going to be one of the most rewarding experiences that you will ever have in your lifetime!
    ...See More

Where in your home do you most like to relax?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would choose my conservatory as it is peaceful, clutter free and full of light. also lovely and warm so you can go for a Wee sleep.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

it might be a bit expensive, but adding a side extension and skylight would add space and light to your house. it worth looking into it.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks both. In an ideal world I'd extend the kitchen and get rid of the downstairs bathroom/utility, create hallway to upstairs bathroom and do a loft conversion. But that'll be £££!

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

re the windows - access to house is down a narrow path - windows would look out to neighbours fence...

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm new to Houzz and just noticed that you've both knocked up plans for my house. That's amazing!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi Rhian, what inspiration are you looking for? Did you want to change the layout or just to update the space? You can add a hallway to get access to the bathroom upstairs, utilise the space under the stairs for storage etc. Loft and extension will be quite an expensive projects. Moving the kitchen to the space where toilet and utility now is a good idea. However, it’s good to have a downstairs toilet and a place for laundry/ pantry though.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Good point, Jules. 40K is a great start when moving to another house.

Then again, get some quotes for a kitchen extension, as 200cms is rather tight for a galley kitchen. And windows would be mainly for daylight, not just the view.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we are very unlikely to get anything significantly bigger in the area we live (London) so the most cost effective thing to do is extend rather than move. it's the only way we can stay in the area

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmm. Such big decisions to make! Jules, all these things you raise are why we haven't done anything yet. We just keep going round and round in circles!

• PRO
    4 years ago

I think the side extension would improve your space a lot. A small single storey extension can cost around £25-30k depending on the area etc. I’d say, get some quotes and see what can be done. The loft can be done later if you decide. When the kids are older, you might decide to do the loft then. Post some pictures of the downstairs and the garden.

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Makes much more, sense now Rhian I agree with Marina's advice about a side return giving you potential for a lovely open plan kitchen, living, dining family space. You could even keep a downstairs wc/handbasin with combined utility (stacked washer and dryer) but get rid of the shower room. A quick stud partition wall to create a corridor to the bathroom might be a temp solution upstairs until, like Marina says, you can afford a loft conversion and you get use out of it. Looking at your upstairs it does seem you could pinch a bit of space from the bathroom to create more bedroom space (poss only for storage) to compensate for what you've lost from creating a corridor.

• obobble
    4 years ago

There is an episode of George Clarke’s programme “old house new home” on the channel 4 player where they tackle a home with exactly your layout ( except they already had corridor to bathroom). They moved bathroom to middle bedroom, leaving room for stairs to loft conversion and extended kitchen lengthways. Might give you some ideas.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here you go Marina. The utility and shower room is through the door in the kitchen.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's not clear in the photos, but the kitchen is on a different level to the dining room - down a step

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

Sounds like you need a long term strategy with smaller projects that you can do in stages as your family grows and needs change.

Extending to the side with a single storey extension looks like a good option because you can then create a big dining kitchen and you could even take down the current utility room and shower room so you've got more outside space for the kids to play (I'm assuming you don't have a lot at the moment). Then you could make the kitchen-diner open up to the back to give you direct access and views out. Then, when the weather is warmer than it is now, the kids can run around outside and you can keep an eye on them easily.

I would also suggest using the space below the stairs and creating a downstairs loo and utility / cloakroom in the centre of the ground floor plan along with making your hallway bigger - that space where you come in and want to dump bags and coats, wet shoes, prams, and all the stuff you end up lugging about when you're out with kids needs a space where you can leave it and it's so much easier if you can do that near your front door.

While the kids are small and can share a bedroom the upstairs might be best leaving as it is, until you can save up or remortgage to allow you to do a loft conversion and reconfigure the upstairs. If you're desperate to give them separate rooms you could split the front bedroom into two small rooms and if you take out the chimney breast to the front then this will add a bit of space. Or you could use furniture or curtains to split the space up enough for them to feel like they each have their own space and to help you get them down to sleep separately.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to offer such detailed advice. I really appreciate it.

I agree that we will have to do this in stages. I think I just have to accept we don't have the money to do it all!!

Our garden space is quite generous for the size of our house, so I don't think we need more outside space. I think a downstairs loo is a bit of a luxury and would sacrifice this for more living space, but don't want to do this whilst our bathroom is only accessible via a bedroom. I hadn't considered using some of the space in the dining room as an entrance hall. Nor had I considered relocating the loo into that space.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to install a toilet into a new area of the house?

• PRO
    4 years ago

I would play with the downstairs layout but more and think how'd you like rooms to be arranged that would suite your family, then would get few builders to come and look at the place and your plan ideas. the cost will depend on many things. some need to be done straight away, like plumbing and walls etc and some can be done slowly: tiling, painting. it looks like your waste water drain is outside of the kitchen window. I'm guessing the toilet pipe is not far from there, so that might help when bringing the toilet closer to the center of the house. also you are saying that the kitchen has a step down, that will help too, because the pipe has to go down to function properly.

Here is an article about the things you need to consider while moving toilet and plumbing. http://www.baycitiesconstruction.com/blog/why-bathroom-remodel-costs-vary-so-much-four-important-considerations

• PRO
    4 years ago

if you are thinking to find the best layout for your growing family, a downstairs toilet is a good idea. it's better to have a downstairs toilet when you have people around, when you have 4 people living in the house etc. you can always combine it with an extra storage, laundry room etc.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You may just want to improve the layout for now only. You may decide to sell the place and move further out later.
    This layout would increase your living space and you be able to stick to the budget, you can do some work yourself too to save some cost.
    Adding a small porch to the front of the house would give you some space to put your coats and shoes. You can use some space in the upstairs bathroom for some wardrobe for the bedroom and laundry space for a washer / dryer on top of each other

• PRO
  • Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, what a difference removing the internal walls makes! I wonder if the effect would be the same with it being on different levels. I'd previously had the idea of a porch, but the alley is so so narrow I'm not sure it'll be possible. Might get some people round and find out. Thanks so much for your ideas.

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

Quick note. If you plan to convert the loft in the future then don't make the stair open to the living room as shown, because unless you want to put in a sprinkler system or simliar, then the stair has to be a fire protected escape route.

• PRO
    4 years ago

The side access does look quite narrow for a conventional porch. you can ask few local building companies for an opinion on this. The porch will help with a energy saving and draft proofing. However, something to keep in mnd, it will block and outdoor access to the garden and all the traffic (taking the garden waste, weekly rubbish collection, muddy shoes, buggies etc will go through the house)

the step down between the reception room and the kitchen / diner will look good. It will give the space a multilayer feel:

Opening one side of the stairs will bring a natural light and spacious feeling. Good point about the stairs and fire regulations. when you are ready to do the loft conversion you can put the partition wall back or install a folding fire door between the reception and dining / kitchen (which would fold back into the fireplace alcove) to follow and comply with the building and fire regulations.

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

Hi! I just bought a tablet so I hope you don't mind that I've had a bit of a play with sketch redesign and made a video doing this. So it walks you through my thoughts on your needs, the current layout and my suggested way forward and how to do it in stages...

hopefully this link will work: https://www.facebook.com/iarchitectUK/videos/598756100884990/?notif_id=1578405678661677&notif_t=premiere_video_processed

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh wow!!! Amazing, thanks so much!!! Really looking forward to watching

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

This is the sketch! Not very pristine or precise but I'm just getting to grips with this new bit of kit!!

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. I've just commented on your video. So much to think about and has raised more questions!! Main one being the location of the stairs for the loft conversion...look forward to hearing your thoughts if you can be bothered!!

• PRO
    i-architect
    4 years ago

It really depends on what you want to achieve with your loft conversion.

I've shown the stairs where I'm assuming they would work best to give you a masterbedroom suite - so with a walkthrough wardrobe and ensuite, to the back with a dormer extension, and potentially another room to the front with some rooflights. I don't really have enough information to be able to give you any definitive answers on that. This would be based on my assumptions of that kind of house, and the sort of things that most of my clients would ask for.

Your house might be different and your needs and desires are unique to you, so are quite likely to vary from my assumptions.

I think it's unlikely that you could do that loft conversion and the ground floor and other alterations within your £40k budget though. So that's why I would do it in stages and focus on the ground floor to begin with, because that seems to be the main area that doesn't work.

I expect that increasing bedrooms will increase the value of your house a lot in London, so it might well be of interest to you from that perspective, but it might not really have that big of an impact on your life in your home for the short term. It depends on your priorities and what your long term plans are.

Personally, if this was my home, then I would spend all of my £40k on the ground floor, use furniture to divide up the front bedroom for the kids, and even install a shower-room to the ground floor where I'm suggesting a loo/utility, and put the washing machine in the kitchen. Then I would get a really good sofa-bed and turn the lounge into a very flexible space that can be quickly and easily turned into a comfortable guest room, then let it on airbnb with guests using the downstairs shower room. That way I would quickly save up the money needed to do the loft conversion so I could have all the works done over a few years. That would be my approach, but airbnb is not for everyone and you may not need to do that to get together the extra money needed to do the loft in a few years time. it depends on your personal financial situation.

There is a lot that depends on what you personally need and want, what your priorities are, and what your personal financial situation is. Quite rightly you've not shared all of that on here, and i wouldn't expect you to because a lot of that is private information. I hope this helps within the limitations of what I can suggest based on the information I have!

• PRO
    4 years ago

There is a lot to consider and think about. The house is definitely has potential. you probably can to start asking for quotes from local building companies. I’m sure some of your neighbours went through the same and can give you some pointers what works what not already.

Starting with a loft kind of make sense, since it will give you extra bedroom space. It sounds a bit counterintuitive, but I can see you point.

However, I’d start by converting your dining room into a sort of reception/ diner at this particular point. It won’t change any of your structural changes. I would take the chest of drawer away from that room and maybe put in the bedroom or living room. Get a smaller or extendible table and place where the chest of drawers is now. Would put a dining bench to the wall and couple of chairs. Add a pretty coat rack to the left of the door and use all available space u Dee the stairs for shouts, scouters, baggies etc. Put an armchair near the bookshelf and a small sofa opposite the kitchen door. Add a rug and you have yourself a space to put your coat, family play dayroom and dining room.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Before starting on the downstairs makeover, think about where the stairs could go in case of a loft addition. This might save you an extra makeover later on.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I honestly can't thank you all enough for all your guidance ??

• rinked
    4 years ago

Stairs and bathroom in another location, just in case you're converting the loft in the future. Back half of the loft would be straight up, front of the house sloped.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.