webuser_454558284

Sulking Room Pink looks awful in small cloakroom - help needed!

HU-454558284
4 years ago

Hello,
I've just painted my small downstairs cloakroom in farrow & ball 'sulking room pink' and it looks terrible - like a little brown cave! So annoyed as I splashed out on proper farrow & ball paint. I still like the idea of painting this small room in a shade of pink. It's very small, with one North facing window. Could anyone please recommend a pink colour that may work? Will I need to repaint the room in white before starting again? I have some farrow and ball 'school house white) for the door and skirting. Any advice much appreciated

Comments (30)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Do you have a picture of the room?

• HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia, yes here are a couple of photos. They're not great, but will hopefully give you you an idea. Just one coat of sulking room pink on, so it looks very patchy

• PRO
    Paintforme
    4 years ago

Hi, you dont have to paint it white before applying brighter paint colours. Check these colours from LG. Go for bright colours if you don't like the dark one.

It's probably wrong colour for a small toilet with small North facing window.

Paintforme

HU-454558284 thanked Paintforme
  • PRO
    iSi Sanitaire
    4 years ago

Hi,

Painting your bathroom with a pink colour is not a bad idea, but I would recommend you to use pale pink. It will considerably increase the brightness of the room and make it more welcoming. For example, you could use pastel for example or peach melba. Here you can find more tips on our blog: https://superbath.co.uk/blog/

HU-454558284 thanked iSi Sanitaire
  • Sonia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I see what you mean. Looks more like dingy wet plaster. May I suggest the palest pink you can find? It may look bland on a colour chart, but in a dark north facing room it will look more intense. Light is everything when it comes to paint colour, I rather like Dulux Blossom White. However, I suggest you get sample pots and paint them onto large pieces of card then tack them to the bathroom walls to help you see how they may look in your bathroom. This is Blossom White, but this may look darker in your room.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

More possible shades that may work.

F&B Calamine

HU-454558284 thanked Sonia
  • rinked
    4 years ago

If you have some pink paint left and some white too, you could give it a go and mix them.

HU-454558284 thanked rinked
  • HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. It seems like pale pink is the way to go. Thank you for those suggested colours Sonia, I like Little Green Dorchester Pink and the Dulux heritage pink. Il try just painting directly onto the paint without any white paint first - can't face having to paint an extra coat! Best wishes, Zoe

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I would do the same Zoe! Life’s too short for excessive painting :-D

• minipie
    4 years ago

F&B Pink Ground, or the Dulux one above which looks similar. You do need something with a peachy undertone in N facing.

HU-454558284 thanked minipie
  • HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks minipiemini pie, I must try F&B pink ground - I have a tester pot for it. I was worried about it looking too yellowy rather than pink, but perhaps it won't in a small North facing room

• daffodilpots
    4 years ago

This is my north facing bathroom. It's dulux blush pink and I'm very happy with it!

HU-454558284 thanked daffodilpots
  • HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks daffodilpots, your bathroom looks fab in pink. Gives me confidence that pink can work! Im currently repainting mine in F&B Pink Ground and its looking much better thank goodness. I'm also going to use a charcoal satinwood paint on the door and skirting... Fingers crossed it will look as nice as yours in the end!

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

Whilst I agree that normally warmer colours are good in North facing rooms, my downstairs loo is dark with a tiny window and I used Strong White which is cool and a bit grey, however we only ever use the room with the light on and so it works well and works with the tiles etc. If you are relying on natural light is is different to if you are using artificial light.

HU-454558284 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi colourhappy, yes, I agree, you can get away with cooler colours if you're only using artificial lighting. We tend to get by with natural light during the day and just use the light in the evening. I'm hoping that a pale warm pink will look good in both situations!

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I vote for a deep colour like Brinjal

HU-454558284 thanked Jonathan
  • HU-454558284
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brinjal looks fab in this photo, but my window is much smaller and I just don't have the natural light to carry this off unfortunately.

• frankie00
    3 years ago

I would have carried on with sulking room pink as another few coats would’ve made a big difference and once complete it would’ve looked stunning.

• Nadine Lynch
    2 years ago

Hi, just found this post whilst Googling the possibility of Pink Ground for my windowless bathroom! How did it go? Would love to see how it turned out :-)

• HU-454558284
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Nadine, I really like pink ground. It works well during the day, slightly peachy looking in artificial light, but I'm still happy with it. I think it works very well with a dark grey or blue in woodwork. I went for Farrow & ball Downpipe. Here are a couple of photos - hope this helps! Although pink ground is slightly darker in real life than it appears on these pics

• HU-454558284
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Nadine Lynch
    2 years ago

Thank you! It looks lovely and seems as though it's the kind of tone I'm aiming for. I've chosen a vinyl sheet floor that is similar to your splashback tiles, and our existing tiles are white with a few grey accents (came with the house but we are keeping them for the time being). I've ordered a few tester pots online, including Pink Ground so fingers crossed it works for us too!

• Nadine Lynch
    2 years ago

Our bathroom currently... The hallway is Cornforth White. It looks as though your Pink ground works beautifully with grey. I may even pinch inspiration from your skirting boards too :-)

• PRO
    Tara Rodrigues Interiors
    2 years ago

I would recommend Lick Paint - muted pink is lovely with a grey undertone. Their samples are only £1 and they come with adhesive on the back so you can literally peel and stick it on the wall to test it under the different lighting throughout the

• HU-454558284
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Nadine, I think pale pink and grey would work well in your bathroom, toning in with the existing tiles and the vinyl sheet floor. Good luck with it! :-)

• PRO
    Your Space I.D
    2 years ago

Hello Nadine, before choosing a paint colour for the walls various factors need to be taken into consideration first -

1. What is the space being used for?
    2. What is the size of the space?
    3. Aspect of room - N-S-E-W (only applies if there are windows)?
    4. Lighting - If there is a window ( and depending on the aspect) as the outdoor colour temperature changes throughout the day from warm to cooler hues, the appearance of the paint colour will change, bringing out the cool or warmer under-tones of the paint. On the other hand, if solely reliant on a simulated light source, then the type of lighting will also have an impact on the colour of the paint. As there are many lighting styles and bulb types available,this is a separate area for discussion ( but one I’m happy to go into more depth with should you wish to consult with me).
    5. Existing FF&E - What will be staying and the colours/patterns/textures of these items, and which colour and finish will work best
    6. What kind of style are you looking to create?

These questions are often over-looked when choosing a new paint colour, but are really important before making any decisions.
    My suggestion for the space you are looking to change the colour in would be to make sure that the paint colour has an element of warmth to it, as it is an ‘intimate’ and cooler space. It’s definitely important to try a ‘sample’ of the colours on ‘each’ of the walls,and check the colours throughout the day,including with a light on.
    With the existing Tiles and Flooring you’ve chosen, a pink shade will help to soften the space whilst creating a calm and welcoming environment. If you like F&B, Setting Plaster (dusky pink) is a lovely shade but may be a little to ‘brown’ for you, so I’m wondering if Pink Ground , which is a lighter shade, will be better for you. I hope this helps, and please reach out if you have any questions or need any further advice. Best wishes, Julia @yourspace.id

• LBLee LBLEE
    2 years ago

Hello

I think the problem is not the pink shade but the texture of your wall. Have you thought about panelling the bottom..using existing wall and adding dado or ply wood to create Interest..it will create a focus point and then you can paint above walls and celing. Try a high panelled look and some beautiful vogue style prints..it will give you a warmer feel and a softer look which will highlight the the pinks..something like this

• LBLee LBLEE
    2 years ago

• LBLee LBLEE
    2 years ago

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.