Sulking Room Pink looks awful in small cloakroom - help needed!

HU-454558284
8 December, 2019

Hello,
I've just painted my small downstairs cloakroom in farrow & ball 'sulking room pink' and it looks terrible - like a little brown cave! So annoyed as I splashed out on proper farrow & ball paint. I still like the idea of painting this small room in a shade of pink. It's very small, with one North facing window. Could anyone please recommend a pink colour that may work? Will I need to repaint the room in white before starting again? I have some farrow and ball 'school house white) for the door and skirting. Any advice much appreciated

• Sonia

Do you have a picture of the room?

• HU-454558284

Hi Sonia, yes here are a couple of photos. They're not great, but will hopefully give you you an idea. Just one coat of sulking room pink on, so it looks very patchy

Paintforme

Hi, you dont have to paint it white before applying brighter paint colours. Check these colours from LG. Go for bright colours if you don't like the dark one.

It's probably wrong colour for a small toilet with small North facing window.

Paintforme

HU-454558284 thanked Paintforme
    iSi Sanitaire

Hi,

Painting your bathroom with a pink colour is not a bad idea, but I would recommend you to use pale pink. It will considerably increase the brightness of the room and make it more welcoming. For example, you could use pastel for example or peach melba. Here you can find more tips on our blog: https://superbath.co.uk/blog/

HU-454558284 thanked iSi Sanitaire
  • Sonia

I see what you mean. Looks more like dingy wet plaster. May I suggest the palest pink you can find? It may look bland on a colour chart, but in a dark north facing room it will look more intense. Light is everything when it comes to paint colour, I rather like Dulux Blossom White. However, I suggest you get sample pots and paint them onto large pieces of card then tack them to the bathroom walls to help you see how they may look in your bathroom. This is Blossom White, but this may look darker in your room.

• Sonia

More possible shades that may work.

F&B Calamine

HU-454558284 thanked Sonia
  • rinq

If you have some pink paint left and some white too, you could give it a go and mix them.

HU-454558284 thanked rinq
  • HU-454558284

Thanks so much everyone. It seems like pale pink is the way to go. Thank you for those suggested colours Sonia, I like Little Green Dorchester Pink and the Dulux heritage pink. Il try just painting directly onto the paint without any white paint first - can't face having to paint an extra coat! Best wishes, Zoe

• Sonia

I would do the same Zoe! Life’s too short for excessive painting :-D

• minipie

F&B Pink Ground, or the Dulux one above which looks similar. You do need something with a peachy undertone in N facing.

HU-454558284 thanked minipie
  • HU-454558284

Thanks minipiemini pie, I must try F&B pink ground - I have a tester pot for it. I was worried about it looking too yellowy rather than pink, but perhaps it won't in a small North facing room

• daffodilpots

This is my north facing bathroom. It's dulux blush pink and I'm very happy with it!

HU-454558284 thanked daffodilpots
  • HU-454558284

Thanks daffodilpots, your bathroom looks fab in pink. Gives me confidence that pink can work! Im currently repainting mine in F&B Pink Ground and its looking much better thank goodness. I'm also going to use a charcoal satinwood paint on the door and skirting... Fingers crossed it will look as nice as yours in the end!

colourhappy

Whilst I agree that normally warmer colours are good in North facing rooms, my downstairs loo is dark with a tiny window and I used Strong White which is cool and a bit grey, however we only ever use the room with the light on and so it works well and works with the tiles etc. If you are relying on natural light is is different to if you are using artificial light.

HU-454558284 thanked colourhappy
  • HU-454558284

Hi colourhappy, yes, I agree, you can get away with cooler colours if you're only using artificial lighting. We tend to get by with natural light during the day and just use the light in the evening. I'm hoping that a pale warm pink will look good in both situations!

• Jonathan

I vote for a deep colour like Brinjal

HU-454558284 thanked Jonathan
  • HU-454558284

Brinjal looks fab in this photo, but my window is much smaller and I just don't have the natural light to carry this off unfortunately.

• Jonathan

This photo shows you don’t need a very light room for a strong colour to look opulent and warm