forzaitalia

What’s your go-to music whilst cooking, cleaning and all the rest?

Sonia
4 years ago

Not Houzz related as such, but something we all do, I think. Doing some baking for Christmas and listening to music go hand in hand for me. I cannot do any household chores without music playing. Maybe you don’t like music, some people don’t. I’d love to hear if it’s your thing or not.

AND who are your favourite artists? I love Christina Aguilera and Ed Sheeran, but I also love the music I grew up with - Motown, Elvis, The Beatles, James Taylor and 70s Soul and Funk, but I also love opera and classical music. And everyone loves Dolly Parton and Beyoncé, don’t they? Love to hear your listening choices!

Comments (37)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

I have 3 Spotify lists: Favourites, likes and Christmas songs. I have a Bluetooth connection gadget with speakers in my plinths. They can blare away.

I’m a rock chick.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds good. I really like 70s rock like Free, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin and I was a huge Alice Cooper fan back in the day........showing my age here!

• nmlondon
    4 years ago

Bohemian Rapsody, Love of my Life, basically, anything by Queen

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great choice nmlondon. My cousin is absolutely Queen crazy and at his wedding Bohemian Rhapsody was the only song that everyone got up for and knew, from little kiddies to grandparents. Great fun.

• mummymaruk
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I love music too Sonia, I was born in the 50's so I'm firmly stuck 0n 60's pop, I have Gold playing on the radio all the time. I think my tastes veer slightly towards country, love Credence Clearwater Revival, and Elvis! Have you heard his version of Are You Lonesome Tonight where he sings the wrong words deliberately and can't stop laughing? It's so funny! I love playing too, I was lucky enough to have piano lessons when I was young, I'm not brilliant but get so much pleasure from it, and after Christmas I'm going to try to teach myself to play the banjo, love a bit of bluegrass. It's a good job I live on my own and detached, I'm sure it'll sound horrific for a while
  • Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mummymaruk I love Elvis. Yes I know the version you mean where he keeps bursting into laughter! I was spoon fed Elvis by my older cousin whilst growing up. We’ve even seen a couple of very good Elvis impersonators, that’s how sad we are! How clever of you to play too, I’m in awe. Get that banjo out my girl!

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Never mind the music, where's the recipe!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha Sam I always make my own sausage rolls etc at xmas as shop bought ones are grim. I used to make my own flaky pastry too but I lost the will to live doing it! This is the first time I’ve used Just-Roll ready rolled puff pastry and it was just as good and so easy. Just good quality sausagemeat add a chopped onion and some dry or fresh sage. These went in the freezer but I did bake the “leftover” ones and they were scrummylicious.........:-D

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Blatant place marking ! ( have either radio 1, 2 or classic FM - depending on how grown up I feel ! )

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry OnePlan what does blatant place marking mean?

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Great topic, I love music! I’ve ALOT of cds, I like to physically own something and I’ve a pretty decent system so no downloadino for me!

My tastes range from abba to slipknot (yes seriously, I’ve three albums by each) latest buy was Liam Gallaghers new album, very good I have to say, for easy going I like funk and soul, charles Bradley is a great listen.

id say I’m a metal head at heart but love acoustic sets, find the pierces get a lot of playing when I’m decorating.

Id be here all day listing all all the stuff I love.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beano that’s a very eclectic mix and good to hear that! I know, my list could have been so much longer but I didn’t want to put people to sleep zzzz. I love CD’s too and play both them and downloads. My music centre does both as well as the radio so am really pleased. I nearly didn’t buy my car because it didn’t have a CD player, whaaat!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I keep thinking that I need to do better at putting music on!

I love all sorts, pop, rock, indie, 90s, 60s, 80s.. have a random assortment of music I've saved into playlists on Spotify... always put it on washing my hair in the shower... or in the car.. but often don't think of it mooching around the house! this needs to change!

Oooo love the home made sausage rolls.. I'm with you Sonia, life's too short to make puff pastry yourself! though I'll sometimes buy one of the pre-flavoured sausages.. and de skin them, and use that as my sausage meat base for mine! add some mustard normally... other think that's very good is if you get some caramelised onions (or caramelise them yourself) and have a thin trail of that under the sausage meat, you get a little bit in each one... yummy!

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Mines pretty eclectic too. I was listening to the Pet Shop Boys yesterday, Ed Sheeran at the weekend. And James Brown, Eurythmics, Rag’n’ Bone Man, Adele, Nina Simone.
    But I have boxes of CDs that I never unpacked last time I moved which is a pity because I think I had wider variety then- I think if you have invested in something physical like a CD you will persevere more and listen to a whole album.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gabby get that music on whilst you’re dusting and hoovering - it makes a dull job a little more bearable! I’ll try caramelised onions with the next batch, sounds bloomin’ good.

Jonathan I know what you mean about CDs, you do listen to a whole album at a time which then encourages you to listen to more new music. They are still very popular so car designers take note, bring back the CD player!

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Ooh sausage rolls..yummy! I rarely do any baking, not my forte, except for cookies....I love homemade American style cookies:) The only time I might put some music on is when I’m doing a craft project of some sort, if I’m cooking/cleaning I just hum or whistle random tunes:-)
    As for music well I love all sorts but I’m a rock chick at heart, everything from soft rock to extreme heavy metal. That’s how me and my hubby met, through our love of rock music, and we love traveling across Europe (usually Germany) to go to festivals or watch one of our favourite bands. Always have Planet Rock on radio in the car, guaranteed I’ll be singing if Dire straits or AC/DC comes on:) But.....now and again....you can’t go wrong with a bit of ABBA!

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Very eclectic in my house as well. I could go straight from listening to Ramstein to Beethoven. Obvs Reggae is a must but quite weirdly played more often buy my English hubby. But really, my guilty pleasure is country music. I love Toby Keith, Garth Broooks, Shania Twain etc.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Cheers Gabby.. I’ll check out that blog next time I make cookies, that’s if the choc chips last that long. If my boy finds them they’re gone! Hubby will have to to stand there drooling as he’s on a diet;-).

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

(the best thing I love is having a freezer bag with balls of cookie dough in the freezer... can pop a few in the oven and have freshly baked cookies 12-15min later... *drools* )

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rock Chick Rachel is your new name! It’s official. I’m only baking as it‘s Xmas, I don’t normally bother as I’m trying to lose weight (groan!). I have to admit I hate ABBA, I know, I know, shoot me now!

Gabby I agree it’s lovely to hear about the amazing variety of music people love. I always feel a bit sad if someone only likes one artist or one type of music, I just feel they are missing out. Each to their own I suppose.

Listing recipes is fine and it’s fun. I had to hold back from sharing the full itemised recipe of the sausage rolls lol!

I wanted to share a similar question in the past, but felt maybe no one would answer or even care. I’ve been proved wrong!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Also you've inspired me to put mine on! have already had daft punk, Disney and muse... :-).

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

Sonia, my Grandma's godson was Paul Rodgers. When she asked his mother how he was doing and she said 'he's in Bad Company my grandma said 'I'm sorry to hear that' - true story.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How sweet Colourhappy, bless her.........he’s an amazing singer with a totally effortless rock voice. I’m a bit jealous!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I‘m with you there Patrina, love a bit of country. I think it’s easier for me to list the music I don’t like than the music I do! So many people love reggae. My brother runs a Sports Bar and when he hosts a reggae music night it is completely sold out. Music can bring so many people together.

• E D
    4 years ago

I possibly hadn’t expected it (no reason why) but Sonia our musical tastes seem quite similar or at least to generously overlap!

The first ever album I bought was by Bad Company. Paul Rodgers’ soulful voice was amazing.

I’m a big fan of James Taylor, love soul and funk (Earth Wind and Fire, Average white Band, who I’ve all seen play live) and also a bit of jazz and gospel.

And one of my ’innocent’, as opposed to ’guilty’ :-) pleasures is country music.

Went to last year's big country festival in London ‘Country 2 Country’ which had some great, both old and new music. Was quite impressed with Lady Antebellum.

So I too love a wide range of styles, but like you I think, I’m still quite discerning . :)

• E D
    4 years ago

Oh and as a young kid I was already mesmerised by earlier reggae, like Desmond Dekker‘s.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

@Sonia - adding a comment so this thread - so it comes up on my updates = blatant place marking !

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great music taste E D! I’m envious of the bands you have seen live! I too love early reggae. I went to a 70s disco recently and it was awful, stuff like Bay City Rollers etc, all the stuff I hate. Where was all the soul, reggae and funk? Grim. I did have a soft spot for T Rex but more of a school girl crush I think. It seems like everyone has a “guilty” love of country music!

OnePlan I get it now, so it means you get notifications? Clever idea!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Sien, I think it is age related. I read somewhere that we tend to love the music we listened to in our teens, so for me it’s stuff from the 60s/70s and I assume you are a bit younger than me! Although hip hop is not for me my 17 year old niece loves it. I am a bit obsessed with 16 shots though, can’t remember the artist just now!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I remember now Steflon!

• E D
    3 years ago

Ha, had to google Steflon Don.

16 shots, 113 million utube views... Was I living under a rock?

😄

• Sonia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

E D - 16 Shots was used for the trailer of bbc series Collateral, that’s where I heard it first, so I’m not really down with kids at all haha! She is so beautiful. If you like dancing, look on Youtube for a group of dance students in the US doing an amazing routine to it. There are loads but it‘s the one that starts with a girl with long black hair wearing blue - amazing!🕺🕺🕺

• Gabby Wong
    3 years ago

Hey guys! I've not been on in ages with work being manic etc! but got teased back by the music chat notifications 😂

I love a really varied mix. In the last couple of months I created a playlist that is now over 13 hours long, but focused on music that I either like to dance around to like a loon, sing along to or good to drum on the steering wheel to after a rubbish day at work..

It's definitely put a smile on my face - Love how music can change your emotions so fantastically and put a smile on your face.

How is everyone?

• Sonia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey Gabby great to hear from you again! I’m glad you’re feeling the music and enjoying a bop. Music is so life affirming isn’t it? I love singing in the car the most, just plug in my phone and I’m off! Take care and keep dancing! 😊

• omi on
    2 years ago

I really like cooking and I also like listening to music a lot. I usually listen to a selection of music on YouTube while cooking. I would like to listen to my favorite music, but I don't know how to download it to my phone.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That sounds great Omi. I use iTunes Store to download music onto my iPhone. A lot of people also stream music from Spotify and other streaming Apps via the App Store. I also lovely old school CD’s! Happy listening.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.