frickshop

Composite door with UPVC sidelights - will I hate it?

Steph

The front door of our newly purchased 1930s semi needs replacing. Problem is the current wooden frame was a self-installation by the previous owners and is rotten and a non-standard size. So we need a new frame and two sidelights (I think is what they are called) left and right of the door.
Quotes for timber doors start at £4.5k which is just too much Struggling to accept this and proceed with ordering a composite.
I'm nearly sold on a Safestyle GuardDoor in Duck Egg Blue but the frame around the side lights will obviously be UPVC.
Will it look too plasticky? Will I hate it? Should we extend the budget for the door at the expense of something else? Help!

• Sonia

My sister has a black composite door and it looks great. I can’t remember what the frame is though. You just notice the lovely door!

• Daisy England

Timber doors are more expensive than UPVC. It’s down to budget. Personally I’m biased as I’m a timber lover and that’s what I have.

If you have timber you’ll be getting exactly what you want though.

• Steph

Thanks guys. We are in such an early stage of the whole house renovation and I am so indecisive... I need to find a way to just make a decision and be happy with it. Rapidly realising that it's life coaching I'm after rather than design advice...
    I'm going to go for the composite door that makes the house warmer and safer and spend the "saving" on a something that will "bring me joy" in the kitchen like a boiling water tap or pyrolytic oven ;-p

• minipie

Have you considered a reclaimed door?

• Sonia

Pyrolytic ovens are marvellous! :-D

• Gabby

Is this a new Houzz glitch? Whilst I agree with the comment Sonia, not sure it’s relevant to front doors! Lol!

• Gabby

Ahhh I just realised the relevance and can’t delete it on the app! hides in shame

• Sonia

Haha Gabby. When I read the question again I thought why am I saying pyrolitic ovens are great, then I saw why! :-D

• Steph

Hahaha. Ok. I'll definitely go for a pyrolytic oven when we get round to buying kitchen appliances!

@minipie yes I looked at a reclaimed door. Problem is the current frame is for a door of 104cm which is way to wide. So I need a new timber frame and to pay for the labour and skill of an installer. So it costs as much as a new timber door. I'm sure being in South London doesn't help with labour costs.

I've also decided that if the plastic frame is too plastic I can always hide it as much as possible tall potted plants either side of the door.

• J.J.

We had a Composite replacement door with just one glass side panel. Had the glass sandblasted for privacy. Been very pleased with it, solid and sturdy door.