webuser_477485700

1960’s bungalow in old mining town

HU-477485700
4 years ago

So we were feeling brave and decided to open up the plastered over fireplace. Only to reveal what we think is a small water tank which would have been heated by a fire. It’s been brick and mortared around. I cannot find a lintel this low down and the chimney breast has dodgy plaster work over it. Does this mean the lintel is higher up? Will the chimney breast / chimney fall down if I remove anymore along with the tank? Any help is hugely appreciate.

I’m not looking to put in a log burner but more so a feature fireplace with beam and hearth and tv to sit on wall above it.

Comments (4)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

When we opened up our fireplace I asked a builder whether it was safe to do so, as I had the same fears (no hidden water tank though!). The builder was my brother so no real hardship and he said it would be fine, and it was. I wonder if it is worth doing the same, just to be sure? We removed all the rubble and found a neat fireplace within, so we cleaned the bricks and just added a fire surround and hearth.

• HU-477485700
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is what I’d like! yes I think I’m at the point where I need to get someone in :( but the wrong time of year as all busy. And carpets arrive in 2 weeks

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Postpone your carpets and do the fireplace properly after Christmas when you can get a builder. Short term there must be a bookcase or similar in your house that you can put in front of the hole

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

I think this is a back boiler. Quite common for them to be left in when bricked up. I’d perhaps get a plumber in to make double sure that it’s disconnected and give advice if you want it removed.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.