pcre

Please critique my lounge plans!

pc re
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

After much to-ing and fro-ing we are nearly ready to submit plans for our new lounge. I do have a couple of queries...

1. The ceiling will be vaulted. The architect is quite keen to have floor to ceiling windows on one wall. I just can't decide if this is a good idea or not! There is no way I would be able to put curtains up here, so will it just feel like a dark cold void on a winters evening, let alone all that window cleaning? Or will it be a lovely interesting feature?

2. We would like a fireplace - the only feasible place to put it would be on the wall that goes into the garden. I would have put some bifolds or big doors onto the patio here - will it look odd to have a French door either side of the fireplace? Also, I would have thought that it would look best on the tall wall which goes to the peak of the vaulted ceiling, but with the big windows it can't go on this wall. I have found this picture of a lounge on Houzz which I think looks good with the fireplace on the shorter wall, although our shorter walls won't be as tall as they are in this picture. Do you think it looks OK?

3. There are internal doors into the kitchen, primarily for light purposes as it is south facing. (There are 2 sets of French doors leading into the garden from the kitchen as well, but the majority of the light in the room comes from the south) Will I regret having guests in the lounge who can see the dinner preparations going on in the kitchen??

4. The architect has put skylights in the roof. Do we need these? I don't like skylights that much, and don't want the room to feel like a conservatory!

Any comments much appreciated! Thanks!

Mirabeau · More Info

Comments (6)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.