bobchalmers

What colour to paint dresser?

Richard G
4 years ago

So my wife picked up a dresser for nothing which she was delighted about and while I’m not wild about how it looks or where she wants to put it I’m going to try make the best of it!

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on colours to go with the existing wall?

We did have a couple of bright yellow chairs in the same spot before (which I thought looked great) but I think a yellow dresser might be a bit much!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments (20)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

Is it the same colour as your kitchen units?

• 88wj88
    4 years ago

I have three suggestions- remove the curvy bits and it will look fine, as everything is fairly linear around it. Or paint it to match the wall so the curvy bits are less noticeable and paper or paint the back of the shelves to stand out. Or offer to buy one you both like.

• Richard G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The kitchen units are gloss white and the dresser is an antique white colour (i.e. slightly off-white)

• Richard G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Like the suggestion about removing the curvy bits - never thought of that & it might be an option.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think the issue is that it sits a little uncomfortably near the kitchen as the dresser is traditional and the kitchen is contemporary.
    Given that you wife has styled the dresser with ephemera it suggests a desire for a homely look so the trick is getting g it all to work together.
    I like the suggestion of removing the curved edge detail top and bottom, personally I would paint it a different white to the kitchen to avoid drawing a comparison and I would consider painting the back of the shelves in a colour to compliment the wall colour so it looks like it belongs in the dining area.
    But I would also consider small changes in the kitchen. Perhaps having wall tiles and patterned window blinds will help soften its modernity. You could also consider swapping the island worksurface for a patterned granite or adding pendant lights above.

Richard G thanked Jonathan
  • E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I quite like the idea of the dresser contrasting with the modern kitchen.

And bright yellow might well work (as your chairs did).

Richard G thanked E D
  • minipie
    4 years ago

Black to echo the woodburner - perhaps with emerald /deep leafy green at the back of the shelves?

• Bow Sward
    4 years ago

Change the knobs to match the metal handles on the kitchen units. Paint it a bright colour - shocking pink or tangerine r lime green

Richard G thanked Bow Sward
  • Bow Sward
    4 years ago

Or emerald green or cobalt blue

Richard G thanked Bow Sward
  • Richard G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions and apologies for the delay in repling.

So, my wife has thrown another colour into the mix which is Cinder Rose from Farrow and Ball.

I do like the colour but whether it will work with the blue is another matter.

Found this image of cinder rose wall alongside quite a bold blue so i might get away with it?

I think ultimately i think quite a few things might need to be changed in the kitchen to tie all these colours together.

My wife loves bold and contrasting colours and i'd basically live in a grey (or taupe) box if i had my way.

I'm leaning towards the yellow dresser myself and throwing in a few yellow accents in the kitchen as i think greys and yellows can work pretty well together too? (i think?!)

Thanks again everyone.

• D W
    4 years ago

I really love the Cinders Rose and blue together, you could even consider a lighter shade of pink?? If not the yellow is great! A bright colour against the blue shade will be fantastic.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

A bit too bubble gum pink for me, but hey, if you both like it that’s all that matters.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

There’s so many ways and colours to paint furniture that it can be mind boggling:)...Painted a few myself so know how tough it can be, same as what colour to paint a room:)). So here’s my thoughts... I agree with Sonia and think the cinder rose pink all over would be too garish but if it was just the back panel behind the shelves it would look great. In this case I would keep the dresser white and the back panel could be any bright colour you like. Removing the curly trim and changing the handles to match those of the kitchen would certainly help to modernize it and blend in but not totally necessary. Another thought is to add a contrasting trim with the aid of masking tape around the edges, a bit like contrasting piping on upholstery, so for eg. If you painted the cabinet yellow you could pick up the edges with the pink. Hard to find an example but found and image that uses orange and pink. My choice would be to keep white but with yellow trim then bring one of the yellow chairs back for next to the fire.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Or you could go one step further and go mad with stenciling:-) the plain white stenciling on top of a colour can give the impression of a bone or mother of pearl inlay.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sometimes life is a compromise and I think this is one of those time for you, the rest of the home looks very contemporary and in all honesty this does stand out, already suggested, remove the curved bits and I’d go for a more contemporary colour and possibly some nice metal fittings.

personally ive always struggled with traditional furniture matching in with very contemporary interiors, I’ve the polar opposite view with homes, I’ve found period houses and all their features sit fantastically well with very contemporary interiors!

I know how you feel but if your wife loves it then work with it and I’m sure with a few tweaks it will sit a lot better.....ps the blue wall doesn’t help in hiding it ;-)

• E D
    4 years ago

By taking off the curvy parts of the dresser I feel you’re trying to turn it into something it isn’t and run the risk of it looking like a storage unit, the kind you would use in a garage.

In the right colour I think it could just provide a bit of unpretentious fun and homeliness.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

I’m inclined to agree with ED. It is was it is...curvy bits and all (and that’s not a bad thing:-)). On a different note how about something like this (see pic) to compliment your botanical artwork. Pop a yellow chair in front and it would look fab! Use some wallpaper behind the shelves sprayed on with low tack adhesive so if you change your mind it’s easily removable. Saw this wallpaper and thought it might look good and a bargain at £8:) https://www.diy.com/departments/statement-canna-grey-yellow-floral-wallpaper/5022976418455_BQ.prd

• sksj1
    4 years ago

Be bold and go for a bright yellow which will look great against the dark blue wall. Trad style in a bold modern colour would complement your lovely modern kitchen.

• peggysue67
    4 years ago

I quite like the dresser but think the style doesn’t go with your kitchen so if you paint a contrasting colour it may look out of place. I would keep it but paint the same colour as your walls or a similar tone blue/black so it recedes a little and the focus is then on the decorative objects your wife chooses to put in it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.