margretg2

Tumble dryer requirements

margretg2
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

These days, Houzz fitted kitchens/utility rooms all have tumble dryers neatly concealed in cupboards; often the dryer is stacked on top of the washing machine in a double-height cupboard. Since looking at the siting requirements, however, I've discovered that dryers are very finicky. I was initially looking at heat pump dryers for a utility room, but, according to John Lewis, condenser and heat pump dryers will not work if the room temperature is too low (the utility is unheated) or too high. This means garages, conservatories and the like are a no-no. Apparently, these machines also need good ventilation in order to work properly and cannot be housed in a cupboard https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/tumble-dryers/3022-tumble-dryers-installation-requirements

If these dire warnings are true, this is a problem. It seems the old vented dryers are less fussy but I really don't want a hose dangling out of the window. I wondered if any kitchen/laundry room planner had any advice on this?

Comments (7)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

My tumble dryer is sited over my washing machine in a cupboard so to speak. I’ve had the dryer donkeys years so it’s a vented one. The vent pipe goes straight out through the wall and has a flap on the outside. Can you do something similar?

margretg2 thanked Daisy England
  • margretg2
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I might have to do that, Daisy. However, it's a listed building and cutting a hole in a Bath stone wall would require permission. Thanks for replying.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I don’t know where those warnings come from- your condensing dryer should be fine

margretg2 thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

hi ... will depend on the machine and its guidelines - but as a rule - most appliances work better in temps of 5degrees plus ... My freestanding Beko heat pump dryer says needs 5degrees of temp to work and 1cm either side of any cabinetry - so a build-in laundry cabinet like the Neptune one will be ok - as long as you leave the door open while its in use. Hope that helps.

margretg2 thanked OnePlan
  • margretg2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like Neptune cabinetry - so that is helpful, OnePlan. Thank you.

• margretg2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds good, Gabby. Thanks for your input.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.