j450n74y

Blank Canvas and need ideas for Kitchen/Living/Dining

j450n74y
4 years ago

Afternoon Houzz community, I had heaps of help when we made our first purchase 7 years ago. I'm now looking at some ideas and suggestions for this new property. Trying not to spend too much.

We like Modern/Contemporary/Industrial.

We essentially have a blank canvas and need ideas. Some things I'll be looking at doing:

1. Laying wood vinyl flooring over the tiles (cheaper than taking off the tiles). thinking a light wood or light grey wood but would love to hear thoughts...

2. Changing the kitchen cabinet doors to a glossy white to brighten the place up as well as making it more modern. Suggestions on colour or styles appreciated!

3. Removing the wallpaper at the dining area and painting it. Suggestions welcome on colours etc

4. Removing the dated TV cabinet and replacing it with a simple low cabinet (mounted/floor) and mounting a TV to the wall instead.

5. Lighting options?

Comments (64)

• rinked
    4 years ago

Painting some 'niches' can ease down the amount of white. It takes some guts to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, but the effect can be great!

Note the other walls are now the same white as the ceiling.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow how did you do that! that's pretty cool.

love the concrete flooring look but won't be able to do that :(

ceilings aren't low..just standard. might be the wide angle lens from the real estate agents photos. I do like the idea of making the dining area darker.

the current feel of the place is quite dark so I'm hoping a change of flooring and painting the walls and ceiling line you suggested will enable us to make sure the dining section dark grey like what you've done.

• Related Discussions

Need help with my kitchen extension

Q

Comments (4)
    Just a quick suggestion, if the plumbing works place the WC under the staircase. And place the door so it does not open towards the living or kitchen areas. Please also post some photos of the house as it looks from the outside.
    ...See More

need help with open plan kitchen /living room

Q

Comments (11)
    I agree with everything said so far. Would suggest you get built in book shelvers on both sides of fireplace, lift tv into a slot it fits perfectly into (make sure you have power on both sides). Then it will disappear more rather than fight with fireplace as focal point. I am always disappointed with mirrors over fireplaces, they become dark, are to high to reflect much. Plus then you have three rectangles fighting for center stage. I'd say very colorful artwork instead. Wonder if you can reorient tv where the big chairs are so both tv and fireplace are addressed? Color, maybe you should decide on furniture first?
    ...See More

I need help with paint colour for my living room and kitchen walls

Q

Comments (15)
    We just painted a color called "Latte" over the dark red walls in our place and we keep thinking that someone left the light on! It adds that much light to the place as the red was just sucking out any light in the place. Find a color you like more for that wall and repaint...and/or maybe add a ceramic tile backsplash? It will make it feel brighter in there immediately as you will get a lot of light reflection. I love the idea of sage green with your cabinets.
    ...See More

Any ideas for living room???

Q

Comments (16)
    The pictures you have above the sofa would serve you better if displayed in a hallway or foyer or even in a larger collection of photos in a family room. You definitely need more color in this room and a larger area rug. The sofa and wall colors look the same on my computer, so I suggest you paint the walls a color that will make the sofas stand out more. I also would suggest you find a much larger, print area rug that contains an accent color and center it in the room. Perhaps you could find a large, colorful picture to serve as wall art and also as the inspiration for the color scheme and especially for the accent color I suggested. In addition to the rug, you could use the accent color in throws and throw pillows to be placed on the sofas. I also would like to suggest that you add a wide piece of white-painted trim above the windows/patio doors (whatever) and attach the metal rod to this piece of trim. The trim will add emphasis to the glassed-in space as well as to the dark-colored rod and curtains.
    ...See More
  • rinked
    4 years ago

Even dark places can be enlightened by some extra contrast.

Have you checked out the cost of a resin floor?

• kateeden
    4 years ago

Mix up ..herringbone wood for living area add rugs add colour and texture .. ..concrete/concrete tiles or there are some nice industrial looking vinyls and rubber flooring , ( colour flooring co here in the UK) some patterned tiling can create a rug effect ...

• kateeden
    4 years ago

And this

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

looked up epoxy/resin flooring and seems more expensive than polished concrete. will need a full removal of tiles and replacement which is what we're trying to avoid.

those suggestions with the mix in flooring looks different. haven't seen that before here in Australia. not sure if it will tie in with the look we're trying to go for though.

• kazzh
    4 years ago

To my eyes, the walls being in a slightly duller yet neutral shade is not helping to make the area light or bright, warm yes in the evening with the downlights, but not light. With your change to white in the kitchen, changing the walls to white could work wonders, even with a contrast in the dining area. If it's possible to do these elements before moving onto the floor, you might find the floor keeps things from being too clinincal and glaring in the bright Oz light. Certainly removing the built in entertainment area will do wonders.

• E D
    4 years ago

I like rinq’s mock up, including the floor.

For a very long time we’ve had a grey linoleum (Marmoleum) as our main flooring and it looked quite similar to that.

It was also extremely hard wearing. Much better quality than vinyl.

Although I’m not sure about availability in Australië it might perhaps be something to consider.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did like the pickup of different wall colours to ceiling. would you recommend a pure white colour for everything or an off white colour?there's so many shades of white...

we are definitely removing th TV cabinet and will need to see what that does to that space. we have to have leather sofas because of the dog as well. very hard to imagine everything at the moment but I do find the space a bit big to plan around. thinking a floating TV cabinet and a wall mounted TV.

we don't have marmoleum here but vinyl will be the closest. we can def get grey vinyl.

what order should I do things in:

1. paint the walls
    2. change the cupboard fronts
    3. change the floors

or is there a rule to abide by in terms of renovation process?

• rinked
    4 years ago

1 + 2 in any order, then 3, as vinyl counts as a soft floor and soft floors are better done last.

Can't help you with a shade of white, since whites look so different throughout the world.

Here's an example of the RAL9010 we use most of the time, top half of the image.

• rinked
    4 years ago

And why not spend the kitchen budget on floors and do the kitchen later?

The company I work at does kitchen renovations quite often and most stuff can stay in the kitchen cupboards while doing so (it does get a little dusty though).

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow just had a long read about the different whites and I'm thinking it will be more suited towards a cool white similar to Dulux lexicon or Dulux vivid white (https://www.dulux.com.au/colour/whites-and-neutrals/most-loved.html)

what's the reasoning for making both the walls and ceiling the same white?

we bought the place and knowing is, once we move in, it'll probably get put in the too hard to do basket so better to do everything before we move over!

• rinked
    4 years ago

Walls and ceiling in the same white: to remove the low ceiling look and to create coherence.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

so managed to find someone that can do epoxy flooring over tiles. thoughts on how this would look in my space? flake epoxy resin or metallic epoxy resin

• minnie101
    4 years ago

What a great space! If you want to go for an epoxy flooring I would go for something like this. I quite like the kitchen, if you were to change it, I would go wood for the base units and white for the island and uppers. I love the outdoor kitchen, could you reduce the size of the sail and maybe use a reflective paint on the walls or consider a large mirror to bounce some light or a water feature, metal sculpture etc? The only thing I'm not keen on as Rinq has already mentioned is the coving/moulding. It doesn't seem to sit right in the space, especially the kitchen?

• rinked
    4 years ago

The prepwork that comes with epoxy over tiles is just as labour intensive as taking out the tiles first. Machine sanding the tiles, leveling, then epoxy.

Consider taking out the tiles first. Would require dismantling the island, but that wouldn't be a huge issue.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minnie: I'm pretty sure I have this exact picture saved in my idea book. that's exactly the style I want but I have to meet the guy doing it. I won't be replacing the kitchen units if possible but just trying to change the doors to update them a bit.

the outdoor space, I haven't even thought about as yet. I dislike the sail and the long term dream will be metal louvers but that's a discussion for another day due to budget! I did think of a water feature but haven't heard of reflective paint. any photos for reference? I have a dog and we were thinking an area for him to do his business, a vertical garden/succulents on the floor or herbs on the wall.

the conving may be able to be removed as the cabinet maker I spoke to today mentioned that he may need to in order to access the cabinets. we shall see what he says when he comes.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Oh lol, I'd looked at a few of your pics (really love some) but hadn't spotted this one!

Dulux do a light and space paint, although just thinking it's for indoors but having said that I think Australia has a far wider choice of dulux so there may be an exterior version. Or just something lighter with a more glossy finish should help a lot. Could you not just remove the sail then? (I don't know how much/little rain you get?! ) This photo is quite traditional but that area could look fantastic with some large palms (although consider the light) and maybe a rattan hanging chair if there's anything to secure it to?

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

sails here are more for our harsh sun. we don't get much rain but we have 300days of clear blue skies and harsh sun.

I have a very black thumb and have killed succulents and bamboo that were supposed to be unkillable... so will have to think what's the best greenery option that's easy care and hardy haha. will have to look at paint options down the track maybe after all the interior stuff is done. haven't put much thought.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

rinq: Ur not making my life easy...:/

• rinked
    4 years ago

I know ;) but it'll be better on the long run.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

i missed your extra photos whilst typing, what a great house and layout. I llike the shading idea but yes it doesn't look cheap and very envious of the pizza oven! I'm not green fingered at all either.. There are some good quality faux plants (suitable for outdoors) around in the UK (although not sure how they would deal with the sun you've got) but if they are on the market there you could always combine big faux ones with smaller real plants in front

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

so the flooring guy sent me details of the product he uses so I decided to contact the manufacturer directly to see what they say. "Our systems can be used over tiles, you just need to ensure correct preparation. 

The tiles need to be ground back to remove any previous coatings. Once the tiles are bare, you can coat over the top

You also have the choice of filling the grout lines before coating, or leaving them visible."

so looks like their product is ok to be laid on tiles.

hmm

• rinked
    4 years ago

I always dive into a subject, so I've read and viewed quite a few sites and videos on epoxy over tile. I'm not convinced. And I really think it's just as much work (if not more) as removing the tiles and (self-)leveling the floors. And without tiles there's less risk of chipping because of bad adhesion/prep.

Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRIoNyurzSM

• rinked
    4 years ago

But I guess this is the effect you want? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOLeih-KqU

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

that doesn't look too bad. I was thinking either a light grey concrete or a white glossy

• rinked
    4 years ago

Be aware. White gloss shows e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, every hair, breadcrumb, etc.

I had matte white plank motif vinyl and loved it, but had to do a little dance with a swiffer at least once a day (but my apartment was 25m2 so I was done in a blink)

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ok maybe not as glossy but a flake epoxy style like this. I have a dog which sheds a lot so might have to rethink it being too glossy.

maybe I should just stick to wood vinyl flooring :(

it's the cheaper and easier option? with less risks..

on another note, thoughts about doing this for the dining room wall? https://www.dulux.com.au/products/designeffects/overview/concrete-effect

• rinked
    4 years ago

First make up your mind on what to do with the floor. Concrete effect dining walls sound nice, though personally I like darker wall colors combined with lots of white (hence the color mockup I posted).

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I liked that idea too of the dark dining area but my wife didn't seem keen. maybe once we paint the rest of the house white (thinking Dulux lexicon half) and changing the cabinets and floor, having a dark dining won't be as bad. she didn't like the idea though. :(

• PRO
    Schmidt Bristol
    4 years ago
  • j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks they look amazing!

• PRO
    Parlour Farm Kitchens
    4 years ago

Have you considered Parlour Farm Kitchens? We're fully bespoke. We can adapt any paint colour, any design and any layout with the fixtures you love once you've got your inspiration.

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for advertising on here but I'm on the other side of the world

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thought I'll update some before and after photos.
    Step 1) cabinets
    Step 2) painting
    Step 3) flooring

should finish step 2 by this weekend!

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

need we furniture ideas...mainly what type of couch and what type of dining table? thoughts?
    we can't do cloth couch due to our dog shedding a lot of hair...

updated now with flooring done..

• minnie101
    4 years ago

The floor looks good :) It's hard to help as you're in Australia and my knowledge of shops is limited to say the least but I do like this sofa from west Elm. They have some nice tables and chairs too, what are the dimensions of the dining area?

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

funny you mentioned that west elm Hamilton couch (in the same colour) as I was looking at that a month ago! we have one west elm store here.

we preferred the one below as it was more comfortable but not sure if the brown colour would suit the space.

dining is 3.2*2.7m and we're thinking of a long rectangular table around 2.2-2.4m but having trouble deciding between wood or marble top. some examples of what we liked.

• Ellie
    4 years ago

Wondering why this is back up at top, would like to see any updated pics though!

• Ellie
    4 years ago

what is wrong with houzz today? I guess the pics just took ages to upload

• Ellie
    4 years ago

weird, when I looked at this post 1 min ago it was only showing me comments up to 2nd November? sorry for all my comments!

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yeh I had the same problems too!

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

final photos of flooring. pretty happy with it. Karndean Korlok Texas White Ash in case anyone was googling for an example of this. I found it hard to find people who had used this product. hybrid vinyl that clicks and lays over existing tiles or hard floor

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

don't know if anyone is still following this or reading this, but just some before and after photos. TV cabinet is a custom and 4.2m long with a bench at the end

• cushioncover
    4 years ago

I do like the new wood effect floor instead of the tiles. Has it made any difference to the acoustics of the space?

• j450n74y
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it's vinyl so it's warmer and soft to the feet. not hollow at all

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Sorry I've completely missed the notifications since table and sofa, it's looking fantastic and that tv cabinet is so much better, the stairs are lovely and the previous cabinet really detracted from it

• PRO
    JAMEITE Hand-painted Silk Wallpaper Co., LTD
    4 years ago

You can customize a wallpaper beside the stairs,Fish design or willow design

info@jameite.com

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.