ahms40

poorly laid floor - help with dispute!

ahms40
4 years ago

we are in dispute with our builders as the floor has been laid badly. the tiles lifted along the threshold of three doorways. the tiles were lifted and a matting put down. then before the floor was replaced (1 week before) BCT who were supplying the tiles (because they were also found to be defective) went into administration. the builder is now refusing to replace the floor - except with a £2/tile tile.
we are concerned that the fault also lay the floor incorrectly. we have another area that has cracked in a doorway and sounds hollow underneath.
despite this the builder maintains floor is not failing. they will only replace with the closest match on the threshold area. if they replace the floor it's with a really cheap tile.
the house was purchased for £380,000 therefore a £2 tile is not acceptable.
I have attached some photos - which I think shows gaps in the grout under the tile that is still fixed

Comments (6)

• ahms40
    Original Author
    4 years ago

this show the doorway where the grout has cracked and sounds hollow in this area

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Possibly caused by movement of the floor under the tiles? What are the tiles made of, and what is the sub floor underneath made of - concrete, wooden floorboards?

Just that I had ceramic tiles laid over a mesh over floorboards which the tiler said was fine. Over time the tiles started to crack in places and the grouting began to crumble. The tiler had basically lied to me suggesting mesh would keep the floor level! When we re-did the kitchen we had the floor boarded and porcelain tiles on top. Been down 9 years and no problems whatsoever since then.

• ahms40
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it's on concrete. there's no mesh underneath the main floor they just added a bit under the part the lifted

• obobble
    4 years ago

Was sufficient time allowed for the floor to dry out before the tiles were laid? We had to wait 3 months. Apparently it’s a common cause of lifting tiles if not enough time was allowed for concrete to dry out.

• ahms40
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i have no way of knowing that. they will obviously say it was!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.