mark_bratt

Growing Mould Monster!!!

Mark Bratt
last modified: 7 months ago

Can anyone tell me:

• What this is? (other than just mould)
  • How to get rid of it?
  • How to stop it coming back?

It's so gross and it's growing and taking over the whole cellar!!!!

• aileenjean

I’m sorry to say this may be dry rot. I know as I’ve had it in my house. I think The white fluffy stuff are the strands the fungus sends out to search for a new moisture source. It does eat through wood when it reaches it. There will be a moisture source somewhere perhaps a drain or leaking pipe. Seek professional opinion as soon as you can

Chris Goodchild

At minimum wear a good dust mask down there. You can spray it with a good fungicidal wash such as you would use on walls that have been damp, that should kill what is on the surface but an infestation like that is probably due to an underlying cause such as broken drains beneath the floor. An expert opinion would pay.

• Sonia

Looks like the monster from the Blue Lagoon.........

OnePlan

Looks awful, had similar in an under build in Spain . Local expert cleaned it all away and spray painted the entire place with some sort of waterproofing material. We could then paint it after 3 months. It worked.

• Patrina

My first thought is try not to breathe air and get the professionals in right away.

• rachelmidlands

Jonathan makes a good point to get a professional to inspect it and I totally agree. I suspected possible dry rot growing on the pallet wood but it could be a number of causes. What ever it is it needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

• Jonathan

Since dry rot grows on wood and this is a cellar floor which is likely concrete I think it’s something else.
    It’s possible that it is grown out of whatever water has got into the cellar. It’s possible it is sewage related, it’s possible it is a health hazard and you should get a professional to inspect it rather than relying on us amateurs in a public forum,

• rachelmidlands

Wow, that is a monster! I’m no expert but I suspect this is dry rot. The white stuff is called mycelium and is spreading in search of a new source of food. Here is some info: https://www.timberwise.co.uk/dry-rot/how-to-identify-dry-rot/

• Mark Bratt

• Mark Bratt