vcmcdougall

macerator in kitchen

Has anyone experience of having a macerator in a kitchen for sink and dishwasher?

Comments (10)

• Charlotte McDougall
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone?

• obobble
    4 years ago

You don’t hear much about them these days. I never even considered it when we did our kitchen, but then we’re not on mains drainage so different factors at play. Don’t know what the eco credentials are either. Sorry, not much help.

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

When we were fist discussing our new kitchen, we spoke to the plumber about having to have a Saniflo thing for the water & dishwasher waste, but he advised most strongly against it, because irrespective of how careful you are, there will be a build up of grease which trap bits of food and will eventually start to smell and he said whenever possible to avoid it.

That said, because of how our house is, we DO have a Saniflo pump in our utility room, which works well, but we have had problems with it failing to pump because of the pipes outside being frozen, which wasn't really helpful when the washing machine was trying to empty! But it only the clothes washing water and the sink water, so no food goes down there.

• Charlotte McDougall
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, our architect has suggested it to give us more options of where sink can go as kitchen is in lower ground floor and drains outside are level with ground level. We’re not very keen on the idea so good to hear others thoughts and experiences.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think saniflo get a bad name from people who have never had one.
    I had a flat with two which never caused me any problems.
    I have just had one serviced at work and looking back at invoices it seems like it has not needed any attention for 9 years. So I think they are fine and if you have to call an engineer out in a few years they will turn up in the same day and will likely charge £100. So I think the worries associated with them are unfounded.

• Charlotte McDougall
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Jonathan, were the ones you had for kitchen waste?
    One query I had is some say maximum temperature 60 or 90, so wondered how that works straining veg water for example which is boiling?

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

I agree with Jonathan, (other than the freezing outside pipes issue) the utility room Saniflo unit itself has been faultless, so we've got no complaints about the unit itself, which has been installed for 15 years now.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

If you install it with an anti-vibration mat under it - that can help with noise reduction too .

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

My experience was in a bathroom but I tend to feel that if they can cope with what goes down the loo and if they are made from the same material as all the pipes under your kitchen sink there is no reason to worry about them being fit for purpose.
    The only thing I would add is the noise from the motor can be intrusive and some sort of insulation may be prudent

• Lena
    4 years ago

We had a kitchen macerator in one of a properties we rented.
    I loved having it, and was planning to have it installed in my own kitchen, but finally decided against it, as I didn’t know if it was ecologically friendly enough.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.