ts2006

Art Deco extension

ts2006
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We purchased our property earlier in the year. It had been empty for over 25 years and is in major need of updating. We submitted planning to build accross the porch, to create a gallery landing, across the garage and along the side of the house to create a bedroom/ensuite (garage and porch were additions in 1979) making it flush with the front. We had originally intended to step it back and lower it by 250/300mm to comply with our interpritation of the planning guidence for semis. However our architect didn't forsee a problem with bringing it out flush as ours and the attached neighbouring property is totallyindividual and unique in the area.

The plan was to render in white the original host property, have golden oak hardi pannel across the new first floor (above the existing porch and garage), stone cladding to the front of the existing porch and add a stone porch to the front. Attached is a quick sketch my husband drew and photo used for colour/material inspiration.

We have had an email from the planning inspector to say that they would not support this;

a) the councils planning guidence outlines that a first floor side extension to a semi detatched would be set back from the principle elevation. In this case as part of the original house is set back the extension would be forward of this. They want it set back approx 2.35m to be level with the original furthest back elevation. So nothing above the porch.

b)They don't like the mix of materials as it would not relate to the character and design of the original dwelling and believe it could be done more sensitively ie all white render (orginal house was sandstone - previous owner painted over the stone in white circa 1980).

With regards to point a) the guidence actually states "Semi-detached houses are normally designed as a matching pair. In order not to upset the balance of the buildings, any side extension should be set back from the front of the building. We had interprated this as the frontage nearest to the street. This front elevation is also the one that follows the streets building line.

We have received no objections and everyone that has spoken to us, have told us how good it is to see the house being worked on. One neighbour told us he had made a couple of complaints to the council about the state of the two houses.

We also feel that as the house was inovative in its design and materials used (we cannot find anyone who can identify the blocks/system used) we would be following this ethos is modernising it, mixing the original with contemporary design and materials.

We have the option of amending or withdrawing planning or it will result in refusal.

Has anyone done or been involved in anything similar with success, or could offer guidence as what they are asking will result in a loss of the gallery landing (major design feature) and almost 2.5m off a 3.5m x 3.5m bedroom.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.