zi_wang55

Basement in London with damp issues - what to do?

Zi Wang
4 years ago

Hey all, I recently purchased a basement flat in London, roughly 45 sqm, and it's got mould, rot, and damp in the walls. Particularly bad on external walls, kitchen walls, and bathroom.

First round of builders suggested tanking the place, but my next door neighbour, whose flat is virtually the same as mine (and who had the same issues when she purchased), didn't go for the tanking and only applied damp proof paint. It's been 3 years and I can see no signs of damp/mould in her place.

We are not so sure on the tanking now, mostly because it's looking to add £10k to the construction bill, and if the damp proof paint is enough, why go all that extra distance?

Does anyone have experience with waterproofing basements or with basement conversions? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.