yasin

lowered ceiling for island

yasin
4 years ago

Hi,

I am incorporating a lowered ceiling above a kitchen island which is 3000mm x 1200mm and includes a 900mm gas hob in the centre. The lowered ceiling will house a Faber Heaven 2.0 ceiling extractor, 3nr pendant lights will be installed for the seating area and some LED strip lighting installed around the lowered ceiling in the shadow gap.

I have some questions in terms of typical dimensions as follows, the first point being the one I’m most unsure about:

• typically what depth does the shadow gap in the lowered ceiling need to be for effective LED illumination? I’ve currently had the frame built in timber with a 50mm gap and whilst this provides a lowered ceiling which is exactly the size required (not too bulky) I’m pondering if a 100mm shadow gap would have been better but at the same time I don’t want it to look to bulky. Floor to lowered ceiling height is 2270mm with a 50mm shadow gap. If I increase the shadow gap to 100mm it will be 2220mm. Depending on which option we go with it will give between 1320mm to 1370mm between worktop/hob and lowered ceiling;
  • Is it best to construct the lowered ceiling exactly as per the island measurements at 3000mm x 1200mm or slightly bigger / smaller? I want it to look the same size as the island but considering tolerances etc;
  • At what dimensions is it best to install the 3nr. Pendants? My current thinking is 300mm into the island from the seating.

I attach for reference the following:

• kitchen plan with dimensions;
  • Photo of current work in progress;
  • Image of a lowered ceiling which I find a bit bulky (nice kitchen nonetheless!);
  • Image of lowered ceiling which I find relatively slim.

Would appreciate advice from anyone with prior experience and any other thoughts welcome!

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.