webuser_668758953

Wierd Damage after leak from upstairs' neighbors bathroom

HU-668758953
4 years ago

Hi All,

First time posting, so apologies if not in correct place.

Can someone please tell me what the brown, triangular things are in the photos?

My ceiling and (upper) wall have been damaged due to my upstairs' neighbor's bathroom toilet leaking.

And i noticed after a week the strange brown triangualr shaped thing had 'shriveled' to the pic below status:

Also, if someone could advise the best method in cleaning this up, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments (8)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I’m not sure what the triangular things are..... but I don’t like them and I worry that they are sewage related.
    So if it were mine I would want to cut out that whole area, replaster then decorate.

• HU-668758953
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your prompt input @Jonathan

I was also thinking this.

I informed my neighbor of this leak, she had a plumber come round, see the damage and diagnosed that it was a faulty pipe on her toilet, which has since been changed and the problem fixed. Unfortunately I have to do the repair to my bedroom ceiling and wall, as I'm told by her letting agency that's my responsibility, not theirs, surprisingly.

I was thinking my plan of action is:

Cut off all loose lining paper

Spray with bleach and scrub away mold

Apply Damp Seal

Apply putty to damage area

Sand down to level rest of wall

and apply Lining Paper and Paint

Is this ok?

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

It’s a type of fungus. Commonly known as plaster fungus https://www.neil-marsden.co.uk/case-studies/the-mysterious-fungus It’s not harmful but would have spread if the cause (the leak) had not being fixed. I saw a very bad case of it when clearing out an old cellar in an abandoned nightclub.
    I think you’re plan of action is ok but after stripping/ bleaching affected area I would possibly allow a few days or even weeks to let it dry out before sealing and decorating. You could do this by either opening window for a few hours each day or using a de humidifier.

HU-668758953 thanked rachelmidlands
  • HU-668758953
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Appreciate your advice @rachelmidlands

• HU-668758953
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Sam Potter Thanks Sam

• Angie
    4 years ago

I agree with Sam. Absolutely it is the neighbour’s landlord’s responsibility to put this right.
    Angie

HU-668758953 thanked Angie
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

It was the fungus growth in a bedroom that once alerted me of a leaking water cylinder. I do agree with Sam that this is something either your neighbours landlord should sort out or yours, assuming you are renting too? It is not your responsibility but theirs, the cheeky buggers.

HU-668758953 thanked Sonia
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.