sam_potter37

Washable alternative to coir door mat

Sam Potter
4 years ago

I recently got a 'dream' fitted coir door mat for my lobby. And the dog weed on it. It stained really badly, and only after the usual scrubbing with detergent, waiting a couple of weeks for it to dry, and even trying a hairdryer on it, I realised its not a wet patch, it's a stain exactly like a wet patch. I am resigned to the fact that my middle aged dog probably won't get over her habit of weeing on the mat when she feels neglected or can't be bothered to trek to the back yard. So... What's a good alternative fitted surface? It doesn't need to be machine washable, but I need to be able to scrub it and have it dry without staining. The space is 1m x 1.5m.

Comments (9)

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I assume the mat sits in a dip at the front door? How about finding a scrubbable carpet offcut and asking the carpet shop to cut it to size and then whip round the edges, creating a door mat? My sister had a hall rug and mat made up that way in a Crucial Trading carpet. It’s made of wool but has that rustic roughness and is scrubbable and pretty tough. Mind you, with elderly pets a machine washable mat would be ideal.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Consider a gel mat instead

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll go and have a look at all those options. I thought maybe fake grass?

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's a pic BTW. Tragic.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Oh that’s such a shame.

• margretg2
    4 years ago

Unnatural Flooring makes sisal that looks just like the real thing (I know because there's a shop near my home in Bath that sells it). It can be washed and even bleached. Have a look

• Sam Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi margretg2,
    Thanks, what a very useful product! I didn't know it was a thing.

• margretg2
    4 years ago

You're most welcome, Sam.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.