info488041

Adding contemporary architecture to victorian homes

Patrick + Rosie
4 years ago

Period properties have charm, character and traditional qualities which we all love. They feel familiar and have a reassuring endurance. That said, the way we live has changed completely over the past 100 years and our buildings require tailoring to adress a lack of daylight, storage space and introduce the ability to entertain and spend time together in a more open and flexible spaces. With this demand, the question arises, how best to achieve extra space?

We are all familiar with poor attempts to replicate the aesthetics of a beautiful period building. A viable option is the exploration of a contemporary, modern extension. A view shared by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB). SPAB’s states that “new work should complement, not parody the original and modern needs should be expressed in a modern architectural language”.

A well-executed contemporary extension will enhance the historic beauty of your home. The introduction of minimal modern lines, lateral floor plans and carefully designed glass can completely transform a period property. This approach will bring in daylight, open up views and a feeling of space, celebrating the original architecture of the building and adding space which perfectly meets the requirements of modern family life.

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.