webuser_256504730

Avocado green bathtub and mixed tiles - need painting advice!

Brett
4 years ago

Hello,

Clever painting and budget decorating advice would be a huge help! We don't have the budget to redo this bathroom right now, but we plan to do so in the future, once we have completed some other more pressing jobs. So, we need to make it look as nice as possible in the meanwhile (whoa avocado green tub!). There are no windows in this bathroom. :/

The current plan is to paint the walls and surround the tub with plywood, which we can also paint, and replace the mirror, etc. Paint the shelf and put a plant on it. That grows in no light. ;)

Taking into account the tub and tiles, I'm right now working with a basic palette of taupe and stone, navy and possibly brighter blues/greens like ocean and aqua (see below) with possible accents in coral and copper/brass. But I'm open to ideas.

The challenge is painting these walls - if we choose a bold colour, then the white tiles behind the sink, which are an odd-shape and are not centred properly, will really stick out. Any thoughts on how to use paint in a clever way to make this space work much better?

For a shower curtain, I have the cabbage rose one below from a previous life that I'm can use. But my mother has also offered me a more formal floral one (pictured below) which is not really my style but could work with the colours and create a decent distraction. My partner will probably take some convincing with that one. ^^

We will also try to put in a shower of some sort in the short term, because that would then be the only working shower in the house, and we think the quickest and easiest way to do so would be to install a power shower, but I'm not sure. That is a job that would require an electrician, so perhaps I'm underestimating things... but we have other work on the house to do before we can think about a bigger renovation job here.

Finally, I've put a floor plan below so that you can see there is slightly more space in the room, as a former airing cupboard is behind the bathtub (there is a wall between the tub and the cupboard), which has old pipes to the unused hot water tank and will function basically as storage until we can think of how to improve this bathroom.

Ultimately, I'd love to consider adding two high internal windows in the walls on one or both sides, to get some natural light moving through this space... although I'm aware that creates a need for curtains in the bedrooms during the night...

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (18)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.