Replacing polystyrene tiles in bathroom ceiling

HU-209277437
14 September, 2019

Hello

We are in the process of replacing old polystyrene tiles in our bathroom (see pic).

What’s the best solution to remove and replace ? We were thinking of cladding but any other innovative ideas. Also as you might spot in photo some of the ceiling is curved which is complicating our thinking

Thanks and look forward to any suggestions

• Helen B

We had these all over our first house ceiling. Scraped them off one by one. They’re a fire risk, produce nasty fumes so we wanted them gone rather than hidden. If you go this route, be sure to wear gloves if you want any knuckles left - Good luck !

• AMB

They are a fire risk so you should remove them, not hide them. I would also be banking on needing the ceiling re-skimmed. Cladding on ceilings looks naff.

• HU-209277437

Would you just paint it then?

At No 19

Echo the above, they need to be removed, the ceiling plaster skimmed then painted.

• AMB

Do you mean the ceiling? Yes, paint or paper the ceiling. It's a must that you remove the tiles though.

• J

Just a thought could they be asbestos?

• Sonia

When my brother refurbished my mums house, all the bedroom ceilings were covered in polystyrene tiles. He scraped them all off and then had the ceiling skimmed, then painted. Looked much better afterwards!

• HU-209277437

Clad or paint.....??

At No 19

Paint.