lainey_hope

Any suggestions for half-filling very tall raised planter?

lainey_hope
13 September, 2019
last modified: 13 September, 2019

Hi all,

I'm planning some very tall raised planters in my garden, similar to the one pictured below. They'll be an L shape, 3m long on one side and 2m on the other, 45cm deep and 80cm high. But know I won't be able to fill all of that with soil because it'll be a) too expensive and b) too heavy. Does anyone have suggestions for how to fill the bottom with something lightweight and cheap (and suitable)?

I was thinking maybe ecobricks (plastic bottles filled with plastic waste)? But I can't imagine finding that much waste and the time it'd take to create so many ecobricks. So I think that's out. Any other suggestions?

The other option would be to create a raised bottom within the bed but again I'm worried about making it strong enough for all that weight.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance :-)